Separating stamps?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Sarahrtw, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

IF you get stamps (off paper) that are not separated, should you keep them together or is it OK to separate them.

I have several stamps like this and not sure what the best way to keep them is. They are regular stamps, not blocks or complete sets etc. The mailer used two stamps to make up the correct postage amount .

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I usually keep stamps I soak off that are pairs, odd blocks of 3 or larger blocks intact. I have a non-plate block of 4, a Franklin stamp, from the old Washington/Franklin series that is worth a substantial premium. It's an exception I know, but one never knows what the future portends as far as value goes.

Sarahrtw likes this.
  3. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

My penchant is the same, to keep them together too. It just didn't sit right with my archival work background to separate them, I thought perhaps I was overthinking :) Thanks, Hochstrasse.

4. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

When a pair or block of 4 have a nice cancel you should not even think of separating - a nice cancel to my mind means a clear town and date maybe well centred.

Due to the lack of image space I can not show you an example ????!!!!!!

5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Great point Philactica! Saving the total cancel is probably the most important reason to save multiples.

6. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

To my way of thinking? It depends. Common issue stamps I probably separate. Something like multiple airmails, se-tenenant, and coils I try to preserve their attachment to one another.

7. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

I have never seen connected stamps that are not worth more than the number of units connected plus more so.
    So seperate and depreciate.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  8. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I usually just keep it as it is.
    I have very few of those stamps, whether used or mint.

9. ScandinavianStamps

ScandinavianStamps New Member

Most newer stamps don't seem to be worth a whole lot more in multiples... but some of the older ones are. I'm not sure if there's a firm cutoff point, but I usually keep any multiples issued prior to 1940 intact. Of course, blocks of four with a nice central cancel, those I'll keep, regardless.

~Peter

Hochstrasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted