Selvage on Mint Stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by SATX Collector, Jan 11, 2015.

1. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Would like to know what advantage there is to selvage remaining on Mint Singles without Plate Numbers. Because they won't fit in a standard mount, you have the choice of folding it under the stamp or tearing it off. Is there any reason to keep it other than to show the (approximate) location of the single in the pane it came from?

P.S.: I tear mine off if there is no identifying marks in the selvage.

2. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

I tend to do the same with exceptions, if they are a corner or as you say have some info on them

3. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I used to standardize my mint stamps in the past by removing margins that added no value to a stamp. I have stopped doing that for a number of reasons. I want to preserve the stamp and not risk damaging perforations by taking a margin off. Secondly, I think leaving a margin on does help tell a person approximately where the stamp was on the sheet. Lastly leaving it on passes on the stamp in the same condition in which obtained. I certainly understand that removing a margin that adds no value to a stamp is really a personal decision. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. Consulting a catalog prior to removing selvage would be my only caveat.

4. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Although it is right to leave margins to identify position, I see too many folded margins getting stuck to the gummed portion of the actual stamp.

So if there is no sort of marking on the stamp remove it.
    Margins are very important on older stamps that have watermarks which extend in the margins most of the time.
    Such watermarks may be dificult to see on the stamp but more easily in the margins, especially used.

James-2489 and SATX Collector like this.
  5. SATX Collector

You have stated my position very nicely... I know about the selvage on older stamps possibly extending the watermark for identification and have also seen the selvage stuck to gum, ruining a mint condition. I was one that used to tuck the selvage under the stamp and put it into the mounts but a couple of 'disasters' caused me to ask the question.

If there is a reason to keep the selvage, I keep the stamp in other areas, not in my album as I want a continuous and pleasing look to all of the pages.

6. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

Good timing in the question and answers...I just got two blocks of four with (?) non-significant selvage...

7. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Selvage makes for a less appealing appearance to the stamps when mounted in an album presentation. Marginally, even single plate numbers or Israeli 'tab' inscriptions make them more awkward to mount in an illustrated album when the mounting spaces are close together.

Some people collect US single plate #'s (I prefer the blocks). I've ended up with 50 or 60 (maybe) single plate # US; I don't collect them. I've got several Israeli 'tabbed' stamps and I leave the tabs on (mint or used). They contribute little in anything to the value of the stamp - they're just different.

8. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

So, how about hinging on the selvage to mount, but leave the gum on the stamps mint?

9. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Jim, I have run across many stamps and blocks that were hinged from the selvage in auction lots as well as dealer stock. Apparently it was or is a common practice. I personally use a mount on mints stamps that fits the stamp and selvage if I have decided to keep it intact. If it is an unused stamp that was previously hinged I may or may not use another hinge on it depending on value.

Jim Shaver likes this.
  10. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

Thanks Hochstrasse....good point

11. SATX Collector

Regardless of previous hinging: if an example is Mint or UnUsed, I put it in a mount... I'll spend the money. From the front, they are no different and the mount lends continuity to the album. I ALSO list the condition of each stamp in an album so a potential buyer will know if it is "Post Office Fresh" or not...

12. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

From the front, they are no different and the mount lends continuity to the album.

Yes, me too. It's important for the overall looks...

Draft saved Draft deleted