Scott No.

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by dmayo2, Jul 13, 2019.

1. dmayo2

dmayo2 New Member

Good day.
    I'm usually pretty adept and figuring out the Scott number of a stamp, but this one has sooo many variations that I'm having a hard time. Any help would be appreciated. The scan is at 300dpi. Thank you.

This stamp was tucked underneath a jewelry box from a thrift store purchase. I measure it as 11x11.5 perf, but not totally sure on vertical measurement. There doesn't appear to be any cancellation on it. It does have a vertical crease down the middle.

[As for me, I've inherited my grandfather's collection, and I'm learning a lot. ]

Attached Files:

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

There appears to be a crude reperforation done on the top and bottom of the stamp and you are not sure of the vertical perforation so it is impossible to identify. Since there are three printing varieties for this issue: flat plate, rotary print and offset print a very accurate measurement of the internal dimensions of the stamp design is sometimes also necessary for identifying a Scott number.
    My guess would be somebody tried to make an inexpensive stamp something it wasn't.

DonSellos likes this.
  3. dmayo2

dmayo2 New Member

Thanks for your input. I've taken a photo with my phone (72dpi) and to me it looks like a vert perf of 10. See below. Please correct if my measurement is wrong.

Does this help in identifying?

Attached Files:

4. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Hochstrasse and DonSellos like this.
  5. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Hi Gunny. Good to see you back on The Exchange.

Don

Gunny likes this.
  6. dmayo2

dmayo2 New Member

7. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Yeah, I took a break for a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted