Scott e-Catalogs

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Gunny, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Has anyone tried the Scott eCatalogs here..... http://www.scottonline.com/ ? According to the Quick Start Guide here.... http://www.scottonline.com/scott-quickstart , you can make digital notes, bookmark pages, etc.

Living in a really small apartment like I do, this would be a better option for me. I don't have a desk or anything similar to use. I do a lot of my reading on the kitchen counter.

2. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

I haven't yet looked at them... I received a similar link (may be the same) from Linn's in an email a couple of weeks ago but haven't investigated to date. As I said in one of my previous posts: my launching of the factory in Mexico is now in full swing and I don't have a lot of down-time.

But that is Number 1 on my list for a scheduled down-time in a couple of weeks so will keep you posted...

3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

First time to learn about that link and thanks for sharing. I will try to check it later. :)

4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

No, I haven't been tempted to try that, it may be a good option for some. I have been quite fastidious in entering all my philatelic purchases on my laptop, backing up the files on external hard drives. I am quite close to the public library which always has a new Scott catalog on the shelve. Every couple of years I do the laborious chore of updating my spreadsheets with new values.

5. SATX Collector

I wish I would have been as fastidious... now I am paying for it.

I used to be close to a library with the Scott's, but most of the ones around me now don't carry it. So I will look at these and see... most of my stamp catalogues and advertisements are digital now though...

And ditto on the pain of updating prices... I do the same with both Scott's and the Black Book...

6. tasha

tasha Active Member

I am going to have a look at it as I also don't have the space and this could be a good idea, will take a look at let you know.

7. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

When I started up collecting again I was very lackadaisical about keeping records. As I got older I realized that keeping track of cost basis, inventory and value was absolutely necessary for insurance, inheritance and other reasons. That's really the only reason I go through the ritual. Thank goodness I kept the invoices and receipts I had accumulated. In your case the eCatalog may a good choice. It may also be a good choice for others not near a library that carries a current set of Scott's.

8. SATX Collector

I kept sales receipts and invoices as well so I just have to go through the pain of indexing. On those that were given or traded, I still catalogue them and pull a price from one of the references... but mostly just pull up a few of the most recent auctions and see what the market says.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  9. CalzoneManiac

CalzoneManiac Member

nice! if only they lowered the price of the digital catalogues.

Draft saved Draft deleted