Scott 634 with perforation on stamp?

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by notional, Mar 10, 2019.

1. notional

notional New Member

Hi all! I'm not sure what I've got here. I've done a little searching on the web and couldn't easily come up with anything here. I came across thi s (I believe a Scott 634 - but it's a 10 1/2 on the sides, and an 11 on the top/bottom) and it has what appears to be the letters "PRR" in the stamp. So honestly, I have no idea what's going on with this stamp, and I don't know if I'm the ballpark with guessing it's a 364. Any thoughts?
    1.jpg 20190309_161631.jpg 20190309_161654.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. notional

notional New Member

I'm closer to my answer - I just delved a little more into the perforations, and came up with the "PRR" stands for Pennsylvania Railroad". But no more information than just what it means. Why they perforate it that way, etc.

3. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Hi Notional,
    A Scott 364 is a 10c yellow. Did you mean 634? It could be a 634 or 634A, but I don't see the accented hair so it's likely the 634. That's a very nice perfin nonetheless Notional.

DonSellos likes this.
  4. notional

notional New Member

Yes. That's what I meant. I fat fingered the keyboard. - Edited to correct. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Hochstrasse likes this.
  5. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Hi Notional:

Back in the days when businesses used stamps for postage, employee theft of company stamps for personal usage was a problem. The perforations in the stamp, usually some combination of a company' initials and shortened by stamp collectors to "perfins," was a theft prevention measure. Collecting perfins is a whole subfield with its own society. See:

https://www.perfins.org/

Don

Hochstrasse likes this.
  6. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Top-Notch info from the 'Pros from Dover'
    What a great reference site!
    Kudos to all who helped,
    HG

7. notional

notional New Member

Yes! Thank you all. Again. Great site to belong to.

8. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

Privately applied perfins are not to popular with most stamp collectors.
    F.i. early british perfins usually sell cheaper than "un-damaged" stamps.
    It´s a different matter with official perfins,like from Bavaria (1912-1920)
    or POL perfins from Germany (1926-1945).
    However as forging perfins is an easy task,many collectors will abstain.

9. notional

notional New Member

Werner - thanks for the info. This is the only one I have, and actually have come across in my collection. I don't think I'll go too much further in collecting these, but it's finally good to know what the mystery was all about! Thank you everyone!

Draft saved Draft deleted