Scott 613 Harding - only 40 in existance

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by kacyds, Jan 31, 2012.

1. kacyds

kacyds New Member

I was wondering why there was a space in my album for this stamp and why I could not find one to fill that space. I did some reading and found out the following.

View attachment 1694

Apparently, BEP and US POD records are not clear on why the 613 was produced. It was apparently produced by utilizing rotary sheet waste and run through a flat plate perforation machine at a perf of 11, but this is not clearly documented. The 612 (rotary, perf 10) was produced in a quantity of 99,950,300 . Apparently the stamp was very popular and they wanted to get out as many as they could resulting in the perf 11 Scott #613. Only 40 are in existance.

The #613 is listed in Scott with italics and is much more rare than the 612. Apparently no unused versions exist. Given the proposed production method, it is highly unlikely that there were many more produced. The #613 was likely produced out of the 99,950,300 quantity of printed rotary stamps, just perforated differently.

My question is why put a space in the album for which most people will never fill. The current value for one is $45,000 and there are only 40 of them. Why not put a space for the inverted Jenny Scott #C3a, there are 100 of those in existance. But then again the current value for one is $500,000. :eek:

Philactica likes this.
  2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Half a million for a stamp! WOW! :p
    I am not aware that a single stamp can cost that much and wonder how many stamps collector would really spend that much for a stamp.
    So how many here would buy that? Lol

3. swish513

swish513 Active Member

they put the spot in the album just to tease you. :confused:

4. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

As far as I can remember it was not a 'single inverted' but a block of 4 probably marginal too that was traded on an auction for US$500k.

5. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

To invite forgers for the near complete US collectors to fill their gap in the Album;) .

6. kacyds

kacyds New Member

The only plate block of 4 sold for $3.1 million.

7. swish513

swish513 Active Member

:eek: holy cow!! i wish i had that kind of money to spend on some stamps!!

8. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Dont we all.......:p

9. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Here is a picture of the Scott C3a Inverted Jenny plate block.

View attachment 1699

Philactica likes this.
  10. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

That was a huge WOW!
    Yes we all want to have that money.:p

kacyds likes this.
  11. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

I knew someone would show it here.
    A purist may have returned the sheet had he discovered the (see image) right vertical row is more narrow resulting in centering to the right.:( :eek:

The original buyer had the gall to ask to look at the other two sheets to see if they had inverted Jennys (having retracted the first sheet over the counter having paid.) After all, who looks at the mantlepiece when you poke the fire piece.

The poor fellow I think sold it to a dealer for US$150 - now that turned out to be some investment for a scrupulous owner along the way - if I remember the story correctly.

Since having read this story many years ago, purchasing a full sheet is like buying a lottery ticket and yes sometimes with luck but not as flamboyant.:cool:

12. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

Thanks for the info Kris...I can stop waiting on 1 to show up on eBay now. I've always wondered why I never came across it, just never did some research on it

kacyds and steve logan like this.
  13. kacyds

kacyds New Member

In May 1918 the US Post Office issued their stamp for their new airmail service. It was a 24cent stamp depicting a Curtiss JN4 plane. It was two color stamp – red and blue. And in 1918 this meant the sheet of stamps had to go through the printing press twice – once for the red border and a second time for the blue image of the plane. It was this process that led to a sheet being fed through the wrong way resulting in the inverted jenny.

Only one sheet of the stamp ever found its way into the hands of the public. A collector called W.T. Robey was the lucky person to buy a 100 sheet of the inverted jenny. He had written to a friend to lookout for inverts. On the first day of sale Robey went to his post office and bought a sheet of 100 which to his delight had the inverted jenny. He asked to see the other sheets but it was the only with the inverted jenny.

A week later he sold the sheet to Eugene Klein, a dealer, for $15,000 who on-sold it to “Colonel” H.R. Green for $20,000. He broke the sheet up into one block of 8, blocks of 4 and singles to sell as individual lots because to get more for them. He kept some of the inverted jenny for himself and put one in a locket for his wife.

Most of the stamps are accounted for, but several of the stamps have gone missing over the years and the mystery of the missing stamps all adds to the story.

14. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Alas - missing the two Zeroes !:oops:

15. kacyds

kacyds New Member

lol thats okay

16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I see it's of small size (the stamp) so most likely would have been 6 or 8 per plate number block which I'm sure was spirited away before the mistake was caught. Plate number blocks was pretty big in that day so it stands to reason that there are probably 2 to 4 floating around in someones attic some where if, of course they wasn't just tossed or discarded. Man that's a lot of money...

17. OddityMan

OddityMan New Member

The reason the album has a space for #613 and not C3a is that C3a is an error and #613 is a regularly issued stamp.

Gunny likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted