Scott 596 ?

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Tommytom, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Tommytom

Tommytom New Member

Just getting used to the form. Could use some help with this 19.25 x22.50

Attached Files:

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

The 596 is an extremely rare stamp. Chances are that it is not that stamp. I suggest professional grading if you believe that it is a 596. Nobody here can help you on the basis of a scan in a coin holder.

3. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

For openers the measurements for 596 are: 19 3/4mm x 22 3/4mm. It must be a true green in color. It is perforated 11 x 11.

My understanding is that Scott did not assign a number (596) until 1963. Before there was only #594 of coil waste (rotary press) in vertical format. The #596 is horizontal format.

Do please correct me if I am wrong! The Washington-Franklins give me a headache just thinking about them. :woot:

Here is what I find in my library on these tricky little guys:

Third Bureau – Washington-Franklins

Armstrong – The Washington-Franklins 1908-1921

Armstrong – United States Coil Issues 1906-1938

Belasco - Guide to U.S. Vending and Affixing Machine Perforations 1907-1927

Diamond – Types of the 2C and 3C Washington-Franklin Series 1912-1921

Dick – Tips on Types

Lybarger – U.S. Issues of 1918-1920

Schmid – The Expert’s Book: Washington-Franklins

Weiss, L – The Washington-Franklin Heads: Simplified!

Schmid and Armstrong are the best, I think. Of course over the years there have been I am sure hundreds of articles on them - as well as chapters in books on U.S. Stamps. Barbara Mueller United States Postage Stamps, for example, has two chapters on the Washington-Franklins.

Also many online references.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    DonSellos likes this.
  4. Tommytom

Tommytom New Member

5. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

As <HOCH> said, your best bet is to send it in for certification. The other option is to offer it to a stamp dealer. If he offers you *something* you can always decline. If he declines to offer it is probably a common stamp.

The below is from OPINIONS III 'The 596 That Wasn't' by Clyde Jennings.

WF596.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  6. Tommytom

Tommytom New Member

You seem to have a lot of knowledge on stamps I appreciate the helpful tips. I think I'd like to go over it with a fine-tooth-comb with what you just presented me. For learning purposes I would like to be quite knowledgeable some day also. Preciate you willing to help me learn. Thank you It is hard enough learning on my own. Having a community around online sure does Relief frustration With support from people like you I'm sure this will be a fun hobby Thank you once again

Draft saved Draft deleted