Revenue R135

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by RICHARD Babcock, Nov 17, 2019.

1. RICHARD Babcock

RICHARD Babcock Active Member

Is the paper green? does it have a plate scratch in the right two? Does it appear to be printed brown orange instead of black?

Attached Files:

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Richard, That particular third issue revenue was printed on what they called "violet chameleon paper" with silk fibers according to the Scott catalog. Perhaps the "scratch" you are observing is a silk fiber? The catalog also comments that some variations exist in color and that some of the dyes were unstable.

DonSellos likes this.
  3. RICHARD Babcock

Its not a fiber, small curved line going from bottom of inside the right two , Maybe ink or damaged plate. 1fib.jpg 1fib.jpg but i think the black has faded into the paper. Ill post this scan, Lots of blue fibers that look dark in the paper. Maybe a vermilion and black,But would have to send in for a certificate. Just noticed the printers mark or dot at upper left over design as well.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Hochstrasse and DonSellos like this.
  4. RICHARD Babcock

3535.jpg A used pair from siegal power search R 135a 3535.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Richard I like that revenue on receipt. It's always nice to see the application that warranted the revenue.

6. RICHARD Babcock

therory4-scfopt.jpg Yes like this one. This Will turn the balance of Revenues. It is indeed the earliest used proven by micro film sales kept by the U.s. government.Used Oct 28 1862. Mr Poole was well known to over pay on revenue. For a rainy day that he might extent his loans. I have 20 plus of his notes.Found his great great grand daughter sent her a note, sent a note to a museum of PW. Flower governor of New York A loan from him to Mr. Poole. These notes were missed by the Boston Book in 1899, The notes were moved to Canada by one of his daughters after he passed away when she married a Canadian and went to live there with him in the early 1880s. I purchased them in Canada form a stamp member.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted