Researching Scott 231

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by RICHARD Babcock, Feb 15, 2020.

1. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Well-Known Member

IMG_20201112_0007.jpg BROKEN Hat on the 4th man left from Columbus. Appears to be same plate as the Double Broken hat stamp. This break tells the whole story if it is the same plate ,It is smaller then the one on the Double Broken hat, That indicates This break occurred before the other well known Break, At least on this plate.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  2. RichardBabcock

3. RichardBabcock

4. RichardBabcock

5. RichardBabcock

6. RichardBabcock

7. RichardBabcock

8. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Richard, you need to explain these images, at least to me. What do you see that is unusual?

Don

Werner Salentin likes this.
  9. RichardBabcock

Hi Don, The break in the hat of the fourth man on the left of Columbus. I have found 4 of them including the double broken hat in the last scan. I send the double in to the APS for a cert it came back as real but with a note attacked. It read break on the fourth mans hat may have been caused by some dirt on the plate. Would only consider it to be a new type if I found more like it. two are the same plate as well. I've been putting off writing about my new finds. Until I research more Scott 231s. They require that there be at least 3 of the same type to be considered for the Scott Catalogue as a new type.

DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  10. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Thanks for illustrating and talking about your search for a new variety. I see the nick you are talking about, hopefully you find some more.

Draft saved Draft deleted