Recognising stamps - help

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by HopeMe, May 7, 2017.

1. HopeMe

HopeMe Learn and grow

Hey all,

since I'm still learning a lot about stamps, their origin and such, I often have problems recognising them.

I'm curious if you use any specific sites that help you recognising unknown stamps fast?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

There are different on-line catalogues in the net,like f.i. colnect.
    I personally do not use them,because I have traditional catalogues,
    like Michel,Scott,S.G. and Yvert.
    If interested in US-stamps,a handy catalog is the Mystic US Stamp
    Catalog,which is to find in the net.

HopeMe likes this.
  3. HopeMe

HopeMe Learn and grow

Thanks for all the suggestions Werner. Yes, I prefer the digital ways, it's faster for me.

I think I'm gonna try use the Colnect. Looks very easy to use and the design is very nice with many additional features. I see you can also manage your personal collections and easily update them.

Another plus is that it has my language which makes it even easier, thank you :)

4. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello HopeMe, there are a couple of image recognition programmes that may be of use to you.

On occasion I use Tineye.com

https://www.tineye.com/

On opening the programme you will see a blue screen with the Tineye logo top left and "Reverse Image Search" at the centre, just below this is an "up-arrow" box, use this to upload your stamp image (or any other image) Tineye will search 18.9 billion (and growing) images on the web for a match. It is often sucessfull, extremely heavily cancelled stamps may not be so lucky.

Available to purchase online at
    https://ezstamp.com/software/stamp-recognition-software/

Regards, James.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    HopeMe likes this.
  5. HopeMe

HopeMe Learn and grow

Thank you for your suggestions James.

Is TinEye sort of like Google Images search? because they seem very familiar.

call me frugal but I prefer free things (don't we call??) so SRS is not an option for me.

Another software that people are praising is EzStamp but I looked at it and it's for purchase only.

6. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello HopeMe, Tineye was first developed in 1999 so I would say that google image search (introduced on July 12, 2001) is somewhat like Tineye. Testing them I found that they have similar sucess rates and speeds.

Regards, James.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    HopeMe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted