Rare Red Cross Xmas Seal sold on eBay

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Gunny, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

SATX Collector and Hochstrasse like this.
  2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I don't collect them either, it's interesting that there are "varieties" for some of them. An interesting read Gunny!

3. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

I have quite a number of them... started collecting them when I was younger... my grandmother used them on all her Christmas cards and letters. When I started collecting Christmas topicals, these were frequently included in some of the collections. Also the Boy's Town annuals, VFW annuals, etc... there are a couple sellers on BidStart that have quite a selection.

Mine only go back to the 1920's though... at least I don't recall any earlier ones... guess I had better drag them out and look??? And all of mine are off-paper...

4. Gunny

Yeah, couldn't hurt to look. Like the article said, look for the green windows & berries. I expect a referral fee if you find one.

5. SATX Collector

I'm a fair guy and reward my helpers... :happy:

Gunny likes this.
  6. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

The bid was high and could make more collectors to collect these Christmas seals. ;)

7. SATX Collector

Hochstrasse likes this.
  8. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

9. SATX Collector

Un regalo para todos los gente... A gift for all the people.

10. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

A useful link indeed. Thanks. :)

SATX Collector likes this.
  11. SATX Collector

I aim to please...

12. littleriverphil

littleriverphil Active Member

Fort Bragg Dec 22 1008 pm.JPG Like most of you, I don't really collect Christmas seals, but do have one that is tied by the postmark on a Christmas postcard, sent in 1908, the second year of Christmas seals.

SATX Collector and Gunny like this.
  13. Gunny

Very nice. I didn't know that there was a Fort Bragg in California. I knew of the one in NC.

14. littleriverphil

Sure is Gunny! I was born there almost 70 years ago. A mill town most of my life, but had a very ugly beginning. Began as a military post to control the native peoples confined there. Part of California's shameful past, it was a short lived Fort. Established by First Lieutenant Horatio G. Gibson in June of 1857.
    He named the camp for his former commanding officer Captain Braxton Bragg, who later became a General in the Army of the Confederacy. Its purpose was to maintain order on the reservation established there the year before.It was abandoned in October 1864. Here's a very interesting web site that will tell you more about Fort Bragg, Mendocino county, Redwood logging trains, Lumber ships, and more. :) I though I had posted the Chirstmas postcard that that seal is on, but looks like I forgot to..o_O

http://www.mendorailhistory.org/1_towns/fort_bragg/fort_bragg.htm

Fort Bragg Dec 23 1908.JPG

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    SATX Collector likes this.
  15. SATX Collector

VERY nice... I haven't started collecting on covers yet... not sure if that is where I want to go. But that is a nice card...:happy:

16. littleriverphil

Thank you. One advantage of collecting the two California redwood logging counties that I do is that almost every postcard is either a RP ( Photo card ) or it has an interesting postmark, or as in this case, a scarce use of a Christmas seal. Probably due to the smaller population base of Humboldt and Mendocino counties.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  17. SATX Collector

Hey Gunny...

Found my "Christmas stash" this past weekend and the oldest Lung Assoc that I have is 1925.... Missed it by THAT much!!!

18. Gunny

Close only counts in horse shoes & hand grenades.

19. SATX Collector

And nuclear missiles... first hand history there...

Gunny likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted