PSE vs. Philatelic Foundation in NY?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by H. G. Golightly, Jul 26, 2016.

1. H. G. Golightly

H. G. Golightly Active Member

Hi Group,
    I just purchased a rather expensive Br. Commonwealth stamp to complete a set and am interested in having a 3rd party both Certify & Grade it. I realize that PSE is primarily used for U.S. & Canadian material but after talking w/ a representative, he assured me that they also work on foreign material, as well. The seller recommended the N.Y. P.F., but after reading about their scandal I am leaning toward using PSE.
    Member's opinions, especially those who perhaps have experience w/ both grading firms, would be deeply appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Harry
    a.K.a. unhinged

2. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

APEX from APS is another service. I believe they do worldwide issues:

http://stamps.org/stamp-authentication

They've been around much longer than PSE and PF. My take is that PSE is some liberal in there grading of stamps but fine for authentication.

3. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

The only experience I have with grading stamps is with APEX. I have purchased stamps at auction that already had the other certs, but my preference is with APEX. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.[/QUOTE]

H. G. Golightly and Molokai like this.
  4. H. G. Golightly

Sounds like APEX has the consensus. I'm planning on talking w/ someone there today. Much Thanks to the members who have taken the time & offered their '2¢'!
    Regards,
    HGG

5. H. G. Golightly

I just got off the phone w/ a very professional Mr. Bristow @ APEX. He informed me that they do not 'grade' stamps, but would be happy to authenticate it thus assuring me of it's originality, both stamp & gum-wise.
    What I need is assurance that this stamp meets the condition/grade the catalogues base their prices on. Not for me as much as proof for my heirs, who will most likely sell the stamp(s) when I'm no longer around.
    Decisions, Decisions! (And I haven't even received the dang stamp yet.)
    Thanks for listening,
    HGG

6. Molokai

Then it is probably six-of-one, half-dozen-of-the other.

I am personally skeptical of the numeric rating scheme. I just don't think you can realistically get in that close. Interesting read:

http://www.virtualstampclub.com/grading_kl.html

7. H. G. Golightly

Thanks Molokai, The article does make for an interesting read.
    However,the Numerical Grade is really not essential for me regarding this stamp. Most importantly is its' genuine-ness,OG, & truly MNH. It still would be nice to have agreement ( or not) from an expert, that the stamp's quality fits what our catalogues prices are based upon.
    HGG

8. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

The monetary value from the catalogues are secondary and up for interpretation; the "genuine-ness" is the primary key. Once you prove that it is the "Real McCoy", you let the market decide the value, not some catalogue.

Just to add: watch the current auctions to see what folks are paying for a "real" stamp... quotes because again, this is objective.

Molokai likes this.
  9. H. G. Golightly

Greetings Satx, Molokai, James, et al,
    I just received the Geo-V, 1£ Falklands Centenary via FedEx this morning and was surprised to find a PES Certificate # 21611, Dated 7 January 2014, (Philatelic Expertising Service out of Bristol, Great Britain) inclosed w/ the stamp. They do not grade the stamp, but "And we are of the opinion...it is genuine unused with original gum". (See scan of Cert. Below)
    Has anyone of you heard of, used, or can vouch for this organization as their email address attached at bottom of page bounced?

Attached Files:

10. H. G. Golightly

More Quandary,
    (I'm just about ready to throw in the towel)
    Upon inspecting the actual stamp, I noticed that the nice perf. remnant (Upper right-hand corner) pictured in the Cert. & the eBay auction pic is no longer extant. It has now become a shortened perforation. So presently the stamp no longer exactly matches the certification....perhaps I'm being too picky after spending almost $3400...waah, waah, waah!

11. Molokai

It is a lovely stamp! I *think* PES was Bill Weiss' service? He passed away last year. I never had the opportunity to use him, but he was apparently quite reliable.

As to the missing perf remnant - that would be past my pay scale to judge. On grading, I agree fully with SATX - the market's judgment is the final say.

12. H. G. Golightly

LOL! Molokai,
    Actually it should be beyond my pay scale as well, but I was able to purchase 95% of that 1933 set MNH so reasonably, it would be remiss of me not to try completing the set.... Over a year ago, at a local Estate Sale, I was able to get a 'steal' a 140 piece set of International Sterling'Joan of arc pattern flatware. I bought it for $1000 & resold it for $3800. I had earmarked that money for this very stamp. That's the only way I could afford such a stamp! I'm just having a devil of a time locating & buying this top value.
    (The dealer has responded to my eMail and has offered a full return)

SATX Collector likes this.
  13. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

I do the same... buy into series and then look for the equivalent in one stamp. As I told my wife: I want to sell my 'whole mess' for just one stamp to put in the safe deposit box.:shame:

That being said: I have a few $5K stamps and many between $1500 and $5K that will go a long way toward that goal.:smuggrin:

H. G. Golightly likes this.
  14. H. G. Golightly

Hi SATX,
    And I was worried about leaving an expensive collection for MY heirs to sell!
    Sound like you might be in C3a Territory...REAL condensed wealth ..LOL!
    At any rate, Good Luck and Thanks for the reply.
    HG²

"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends."
    T. Waits

Draft saved Draft deleted