PSE "Jumbo" Designated Stamps

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Gunny, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead

Let's talk about stamps that have been designated as having "Jumbo" margins by PSE. I have the following three, and as you can see, they are well centered and have the expected large margins:

This is my Scott #230, PSE graded XF 90J

0230 1893 Columbus In Sight of Land PSE XF 90J.jpg
    This is my Scott #184, PSE graded XF 90J

0184 Washington PSE XF 90J 3C.jpg

This is my Scott #65, PSE graded VF-XF 85J
    0065 Washington 3C PSE VF-XF 85J.jpg

The last one, the Scott #65 caught me off guard when I saw it. I was under the impression that for a stamp to be graded with the "J" caveat, it would have to have four Jumbo margins. Not the case with this stamp.

Here are a couple of stamps I'm thinking about sending in for grading to see if I can get a Jumbo designation. What do you think?

My Scott #534a Type VI

0534a Type VI 2C.jpg

My Scott #C03

C03 1918 24C.jpg

and, my Scott #E14

E14 20C.jpg

PSE's grading standards website states, "Jumbo qualifiers (J) can be added after the numerical grade by PSE's experts in the event that the stamp falls into the proper category based on centering and condition, but has exceedingly large margins in comparison to the average of that stamp." I highlighted the last part as this is probably why my Scott #65 received a Jumbo designation. This stamp is not normally well centered, much less have a couple of huge margins. You can find the PSE grading website at http://www.gradingmatters.com/all-about-grading.html

Let's see some of your Jumbo designated stamps !!!!!!!!

Hochstrasse, anglobob and DonSellos like this.
  2. id send the c3, dont think the E 14 will make jumbo

DonSellos and Gunny like this.
  3. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead

Thanks for the recommendation.

Draft saved Draft deleted