price of stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by tasha, Feb 4, 2016.

1. tasha

tasha Active Member

I went into the post office the other day for the first time in a long time and I wanted to send a friend a letter like in the old days. the airmail stamp looks exactly the same except they add on about four of these and you have to pay for them, they used to be free. then the actual stamps for the envelope cost a bit and I needed a few. I cant believe how the price gone up and no wonder we use email these days. When last did you write a letter and send it in the mail?

2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello Tasha, I frequently use the mail system here, a 20 gramme letter costs 3 baht and a 100 gramme (3.5 oz) letter costs 5 baht ($0.16) to anywhere in the country. An air postcard costs 15 baht ($0.48) and an air letter 100 g costs about 30 baht, dependant on the zone. EMS is extra, Air lables are free, I usually take a sheet at a time. I usually use EMS for foreign mail so that it can be tracked and I use the slow (2 week airmail) rather than the express service.

Regards, James

3. tasha

tasha Active Member

Wow that does not seem like much at all and I have often tried to use our slow mail here rather than express but sometimes it is the same price and insurance is necessary on either one. I have a friend going to live in Thailand next year and he is going to send my husband and I some letters when he retires

4. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

In here, the prices of sending a letter are also a bit higher compared before and more if it will be a special delivery and an international mail.
    Last time I sent were postcards which was more than a year ago. :)

5. Jehovahnissi

Jehovahnissi Member

I do quite often but they're only about .50. You can also buy whole pages of stamps if you're a frequent user to make it easier.

6. tasha

tasha Active Member

I am going to check with the post office to see if they have a booklet of stamps but I think for each place that you send to, the amount is different and costs vary, a stamp booklet would be nice to collect anyway!

7. zararina

Right that the cost vary per place that you send it too. Most probably the nearer the cheaper. :)

8. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I wrote a letter last year, sometime in November. I don't think the price of 49c is a hardship to anyone, but with the ease of the smart phone it's easy to stay in touch with friends and family. The online bill pay feature that goes with almost all banking really spells the end for mail. Other than shipping actual items from person to person, business to business and business to person mail really hasn't much function any more. It's sad but that's the price of progress.

zararina likes this.
  9. zararina

Right Hoch. Less people will be mailing love letters through snail mail for this coming Valentines for sure. ;)

10. James-2489

Hello all, I think the mail is still good for love letters, birth or birthday cards and other greetings. Text messages are here today gone tommorrow, cards and letters can last longer. I have some a couple of hundred years old.

Regards, James.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  11. Hochstrasse

It's certainly true that the card business continues. The numbers though for Christmas cards, Valentine cards, Birthday cards and other cards does however continue to decline from year to year, a fact the USPS acknowledges. There's nothing like the personal touch of writing a letter which is why I still do it from time to time. Love those old 100+ year old cards, I also have a couple of them.

12. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Depends on how much she means to the guy... My wife and I have been separated by 1150 miles going on 3 years in June. We STILL send stuff by snail mail... but we're a bit old-fashioned anyway... :oldman::oldman: and still send love letters as well.:)

James-2489 likes this.
  13. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Mailed flowers to her (she was born on Valentine's Day) AND to her Mom... DOUBLE MARRIAGE POINTS!!!

Hochstrasse and James-2489 like this.
  14. Hochstrasse

Amen SATX Collector! Happy Valentine's Day to all the wives of collectors that put up with us. Happy Valentine's to all our female collectors!

James-2489 likes this.
  15. tasha

tasha Active Member

I have kept all my cards and letters over the years and it is good to look back and read them all. you do not get the same from a text message and to have a letter from someone makes it so much more personal

16. James-2489

Hello Tasha, I agree 100%, when I met my wife 17 years ago, we corresponded by mail. We've kept them all.
    Personal computers were quite rare in Thailand. The national average wage was below us$ 5 per working day.
    I built my first computer in late 1978. Nothing like the PCs, laptops or tablets of today.
    I wonder how many people remember the old "Punchcard" prepaid phone card introduced so that you did'nt need to carry a pocket-full of change to make a phonecall.
    Cellphones were unheard of, 1G (analog) systems started for the rich in the early 90s.

1973 prototype mobile cellphone. (nicknamed the Brick)
    [​IMG]
    2G systems started to appear from about 1993 and in 1998 the first downloadable ring tone, launched by Finland's Radiolinjaand.
    3G services started to appear in about 2003
    4G systems started to appear in about 2012
    The mobile phone and instant communications is something we all take for granted today. Difficult to live without them now.

Thailand has an average of 23 motorcycle deaths per day partly because they all have cellphones stuck to their ear.

My rant for today from a grumpy old man, regards, James.

SATX Collector and Hochstrasse like this.
  17. zararina

She definitely knows that you would love to receive a snail mail with stamps on it. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted