Featured Posts cards from distant past, and foriegn lands

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by Circus, Jun 14, 2013.

1. tasha

tasha Active Member

I love getting a postcard in the mail! It is so exciting to get the happy message from someone and the scenery of where they are situated is fantastic to look at, almost like the saying, "wish you were there" is rubbing it in that you do wish you were there too!

2. These are really lovely! I've loved cathedrals and Gothic architecture ever since I took an Art History class in 10th grade - the highlight of that year was when the class went into the commons area to build a human cathedral.

I really don't know anything about stamps and postcards as far as value goes, but I still love the stuff. I recently discovered a shop downtown that sells mail-related things and old coins - I've bought two vintage postcards there. One is from around WWII, and the other is from 1913. Neither was in good enough shape to be worth more than a few bucks, but I just love them.

3. darehare

darehare New Member

Reminds me of the 16th Ave Tiled Steps and Hidden Steps in San Francisco as well as the Spanish Steps in Rome. Makes me want to go to St. Lucia to continue my steps adventures.

4. darehare

darehare New Member

Those are very exquisite details. How lovely and admirable. I've trekked to Basilica Notre-Dame in Marseille but missed out on the Marseille Cathedral while in town.

5. tasha

tasha Active Member

I have also discovered a coin a stamp exchange store in my own home town! I am so excited and I spent almost the entire day there looking at all the vintage stamps and some very strange looking items, it is so nice to see things from the past and to watch how they have changed throughout the generations.

6. May102014

May102014 New Member

Wow! Those postcards are really amazing to see and made me want to go back in time to see and touch those cards for real. You did a great job in preserving those wonderful artifacts that made us feel like we want more of your collections. Thumbs up for sharing it with us.

7. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Hi there May102014 and welcome to the forum.
    Do you also collect postcards?

8. tasha

tasha Active Member

I have collected postcards from a few places but the thing with them is that I add them to my fridge and then they get messed up and tattered but I have never really thought a postcard is as nice to collect as a stamp, even though there are some beautiful ones and a good idea would be to add them into an album but they are just too big for me

9. zararina

Maybe try to have a separate storage even just a small box for your postcards.

10. May102014

May102014 New Member

Yes, I used to collect stamps and postcards. I had one album filled with assorted stamps and postcards but sadly, it was washed away by a big storm. I did find the album but it was all soggy and wet and there was no way I can restore or put them back together.

11. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse Active Member

I picked up a nice postcard at a stamp fair. Posted in 1915 from County Donegal to County Derry at a time when British stamps were used in all of Ireland.
    These always intrigue me as there is social history involved....there is no message on the other side of this card. Just an address.
    But the postcard itself on a religious theme with Titanic connexions and posted during WW1 might suggest a sadness or possibly a church outing. The place it was posted and the address are only about 12 miles apart.
    Derry is about 70 miles from me and as a retiree with free travel on public transport, I travel a lot by train and bus. I was in Derry yesterday and took a photograph of the house.

Attached Files:

Hochstrasse likes this.
  12. zararina

Does the postcard have a stamp on the back? It was a really nice one. :)

13. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Nice card! Rather than the Titanic which occurred 3 years earlier I suspect WWI or a passing in the township is the genesis of the "Nearer My God to Thee" postcard. I love this era of postcard, great acquisition.

14. FitzjamesHorse

Zazarina...the stamp is a British stamp. "King George VI" I guess as its 1915.
    The postmark is in English.
    Irish stamps and Irish Language postmarks were not used until 1922.
    As this is the "golden age" of postcards, these old cards are easy to find.
    But it is always nice to see the "English" postmarks.
    I am trying to build a small collection of these postmarks....especially as some towns were re-named after 1922.

15. FitzjamesHorse

Hochstrasse....the Titanic Disaster in 1912 popularised the hymn so I suspect that this particular card was influenced by Titanic.
    The card was written to a "Miss A Long" so probably not a bereaved mother or widow from WW1. Possibly a fiancee of course.
    If I was a betting man, I would go with "church outing".
    Old postcards are interesting.
    Did Miss Long marry...or stay in that house until a ripe old age?

Incidently I was born and lived 27 years in Belfast which built the Titanic (and De Lorean!!!) and I am still only 25 miles away.Most of the postcards sold in Belfast are related to the Titanic or Game of Thrones which is also produced here.
    The really funny thing is since the centenary we have a Titanic Visitor Centre which cost £90 million ....but nobody cared about Titanic before Leonardo Di Caprio. ;)

Hochstrasse likes this.
  16. Hochstrasse

My thought was that "Never my God to Thee" is/was a popular song sung at wakes and funerals. Clearly a "Miss" is not likely to be a grieving widow. It would be interesting to know a bit more about the circumstances surrounding the mailing of the postcard as you say. That's what makes philately so interesting, especially cover or postcard collecting.

I have always loved history and was always taken by the Titanic tragedy long before the movie was made. I was not aware that the DeLorean was made in Belfast. I always thought the car was pretty neat. Nice to remember the car, I remember a few of them driving about here in California.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  17. FitzjamesHorse

By an amazing coincidence I am on a train heading into Belfast. The next stop is Derryaghy (about 5 miles south of the city centre). It was here that DeLorean factory was made and it used to be great to pass and see maybe 50 or so lined up to be exported.
    On the motorway in early 1980s DeLorean had special permission on Sunday mornings to test drive the cars at speed.
    I will never forget the feeling of five or six De Loreans going past.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  18. Hochstrasse

Amazing car and innovative design for a car from the '80's. :)

19. tasha

tasha Active Member

Wouldn't it be great to find one with Elvis and a pink Cadillac on it, how amazing and colourful that would be, not to mention valuable.

20. Kerron Billouin

Kerron Billouin New Member

Wow! Talk about a time capsule... To me I prefer this vintage stamps compared to the modern stamps we have now.. The imagery is more majestic, for instance the cathedral, because its really brought out the era very well..I think these stamps are priceless.

Draft saved Draft deleted