Postage stamp or cinderella ?

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, Oct 30, 2017.

1. anglobob

anglobob Member

Hello everyone.I have just returned from a three week trip to UK. I managed to visit a few stamps shows and picked up some interesting items for my cinderella and French collection.I visited a lot of popular tourist sites and came across the following items.Most of the popular tourist attractions sell postcards and a strip of 5 self adhesive stamps,each one showing different views of the attraction.They can only be used to send postcards overseas so cannot be used to send postcards to someone in Great Britain.
    A strip of 5 ranged from 5UKL to 6.25UKL.They are produced by Universal Mail who are not connected to Royal Mail.They have an agreement with Royal Mail who deliver any postcards with these stamps.The stamps have no image of the Queen on them.
    I didnt send any cards so have no idea how long it takes to receive a card.
    I have scanned two Image (10).jpg strips and have others if anyone would like to see a scan

James-2489 and DonSellos like this.
  2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Hi Anglobob!

Interesting items! As a postal product they might fall under the International Postcard genre since they are limited in their use. I'd be interested to know if the adhesives actually trigger a cancellation? Do you know if the labels are luminescent?
    I'd be interested to know what other members here think about it.
    http://www.universalmail.co.uk/

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  3. anglobob

anglobob Member

The stamps are not luminescent.I wish I had sent a couple of cards while I was over there to see what sort of cancellation they received.I have been looking for used items but so far have been unable to find any.After researching on line,it appears that items with these labels/stamps ,take considerably longer to arrive at their destination.

4. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

Just ckeck the net for "Universal Mail" and you will find the
    homepage of that company.
    A private mailer,whoes main business - I suppose - is selling
    labels to "collectors".In my eyes: junk !

5. anglobob

anglobob Member

I think these are directed more at tourists.Putting a pretty label on a postcard is more appealing than a bland sticky label that you get these days at a Post Office....that is if you can find one now .It is also almost impossible now to buy new stamps at Post Offices in England.Finally,tallking of junk....Check out the latest Starwars stamps from Great Britain.....

DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  6. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

I think you are correct about the tourist angle. It is a convenient way to get a postcard and valid mailing. Interesting about the lack of tagging. That would suggest it's more of a label or Cinderella that is a part one of a two part mailer.

DonSellos likes this.
  7. Werner Salentin

I guess I am pretty ignorant about private mail-services in Britain.
    I just wonder how can they deliver postcards to foreign destinations.
    Are they part of the UPU ? Or does the Royal Mail handle such
    postcards ? I mean,why should the Deutsche Post deliver a
    piece of mail from a private foreign to a recipient in Germany ?
    How are they paid for this ?
    But I guess that are stupid questions,because those labels are
    never thought to be used as postage.

anglobob likes this.
  8. Werner Salentin

"a private foreign mail service company" it should have read.

Draft saved Draft deleted