Portugal Commemorates Richard Wagner with Postage Stamp

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by Peter T Davis, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

This actually happened last year, Portugal issued a stamp commemorating the 200th anniversary of Richard Wagner's birth. Seems Portugal wasn't alone either, there were other countries who issued similar stamps. As far as I know, Portugal has no connection to Wagner (who of course was German). I know it's a common thing for many nations to issue commemorative stamps on subjects nothing to do with their own country's heritage. I think I enjoy stamps that are more connected to the country that issued them, though. How do you feel about it?

Richard-Wagner.jpg

2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Kinda weird if what could be the reasons why a certain country will issue a commemorative stamp with no relation to them.
    I also prefer those stamps that are really significant to the country of origin. :)

3. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Good or bad, this practice helps makes topical stamp collecting what it is. Without multiple countries issuing stamps on the same or similar topics, there would be fewer topical collections. Countries with a long-standing stamp issuing programs would still provide topics for collectors. I, for instance, have a small collection of U.S. stamps with ships and boats in the design. However, it lacks the diversity, and interest, of a similar collection of stamps from different stamp issuing entities.

Don

Steve Robinson and Peter T Davis like this.
  4. I agree that it is better if the stamp has something to do with that country's history. This seems like an especially bizarre choice. What is the weirdest one you ever heard of? :)

5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Peter, I am on your page with respect to that, but topical collectors would disagree and country collector would probably agree. Germany did issue a coin commemorating the event.

[​IMG]

6. derailed

derailed Active Member

Kind of weird for a country to issue a stamp that has no connection to it. But I don't mind it that much, as the stamp looks really good and collectible. Hm, I guess I will have what to look foward to next months.

7. DonSellos

A commemorative stamp may call attention to events, contemporary or historical, groups, buildings, industry, vehicles, and God knows what else. The achievements of people, whether we judge those achievements good or bad (i.e. Harvey Milk), are also popular reasons for issuing stamps. Richard Wagner's music is internationally recognized as brilliant and is still performed regularly throughout the world, including, I would think, Portugal. I grant that many countries issues stamps solely for the collector revenue they generate. Still, it does not seem inappropriate to me that Portugal should recognize Wagner for his contribution to Western culture with a stamp commemorating his birth. Now it might be a little strange to see Portugal, or a country other than Germany, put his portrait on a definitive stamp.

Don

8. DonSellos

Hochstrasse, that is a very handsome coin. What the reverse look like?

Don

9. Thanks for the info on topical collecting Don Sellos. I did not know too much about it until now. It seems like it would be worth investing in.

10. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted