?Plate block question?

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Sam B, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

I came across this plate block and its a first for me. Can someone explain to me why it has 2 plate #s? I'm no collector of plate blocks so I'm sure this is not uncommon, but it is the first of mine...

View attachment 1498

Philactica likes this.
  2. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

no idea but will be good to find out

3. kacyds

kacyds New Member

It was printed with two different plates. One for the blue ink and one for the red ink.

4. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

Thanks Kris...That explains why I've never noticed this before...Most of the plate blocks I've come across was single color stamps

5. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

ahh every day a history lesson, and my old dad says there is no future in it lol

6. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Your old dad surely meant stamps, not the history the lesson :D

7. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

no he says there is no future in history? he does not have a clue about stamps, as he has always been an angler, and that and stamps do not really mix!! LOL

8. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

An ANGLER as in fishing? Thats all I do when the weather is good. Fishing and stamps...welcome to my life lol

steve logan likes this.
  9. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

well it does mean fishing, and you are a member of the 2 largest world wide hobbys, well done

seriously i can not abide fishing, well with a rod anyway :)

have done it with a net on the back of a boat, that was ok :)

10. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Then he would also know the phrase: 'Those that do not learn from mistakes of the past are bound to relive it.
    Just look at the Stamps ;)

11. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Sam, Here is one in my collection of Airmails that have 6 plate numbers, 1 for each color.

[​IMG]

12. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

That's crazy Kris...I can't believe I haven't seen a plate block with multiple plate #s until now:eek:

13. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

This is not a reply but a show and tell !
    The "Plate number or control number" is the combined list "plates"of that specific printing process. The different colours are incorporated as per plate per number.

The same colour would have a different number with each new printing which in turn identifies the "plate" number.

Collecting Plate numbers are are of importance for definitive collectors because of different "plates" for each printing. Commemorative issues are rarely reprinted.

Here are two South Africa R1 Protea plates with different issue dates and slight colour changes, hardly visible if you were to look at one stamp. The perforation differs also between the two plate blocks.

View attachment 1513

kacyds and steve logan like this.
  14. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

as well as great blocks of stamps, that was a great explanation, i never realised that they mostly came on def's.
    i have often seen plate numbers on the USA coil stamps, with each number being a different colour, i think you have now answered that as well

Many thanks

Steve

15. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Thanks for sharing those South Africa plate block pics. Looks good.

16. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Steve

Definitives are mostly collected for their different plate numbers. Commemoratives are one or two at the most batch printed and have plate or control number as well.

It is the different printings of definitives that are sought because standard common values get depleted by demand.

Erich

17. kacyds

kacyds New Member

[​IMG]
    Sam if you notice on my C11, there are also two different plate numbers for each color. Sorry for the poor scan, esp. the stamps on the bottom look weird...lol

18. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Sam if you notice on my C11, there are also two different plate numbers for each color. Sorry for the poor scan, esp. the stamps on the bottom look weird...lol[/quote]

Do American Collectors also collect the block of stamps above the marginal inscription" American Banknote Company" ?

Similar to this below:-
    View attachment 1514

steve logan likes this.
  19. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Yes they do, although I personally dont have any in my collection. :(

20. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I was curious as I have never seen a demand for these but then they would be speciality items.

Draft saved Draft deleted