Philately third in rank of collectable assets

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Sarahrtw, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

Yesterday, I asked if stamp collecting was losing its luster. Based on this article, I'd say not. Stamp Collections are up 9% in terms of collectible value. This is just below classic cars and coins.

Read the full article here, and let us know what you think:
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/100545945

2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

It is really nice to know and good article.
    Might influence more people be interested on stamps. :D

Sarahrtw likes this.
  3. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

Yes. I agree, Zararina. I hope it does attract interest; I'd also hope people do it for more than it's potential in making money down the road too!

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Problem with this is that you can have a situation such as in the 70's were stamp prices went through the roof which killed off a lot of small collectors. People with money to invest went into stamps and the market became artificial then of course the bubble burst.

5. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

Hmm. That is a very good point, I wasn't aware of that, but it's definitely a shame that the smaller, less affluent people stand to lose out in those situations.

6. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

A lot of folks looked at them as a pure investment and not as a hobby, and that pushed prices up quite dramaticly (the last post should have read late 70's and into the 80's)

7. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Yes, prices for stamps in the 90's and early millenium were quite reasonable. Now prices, while not exorbitant, are much higher. Glad I took that hiatus in stamp collecting during the 70's and 80's....LOL!

Draft saved Draft deleted