Philately: for Fun or Profit?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Sarahrtw, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

As you may know by now, I have a background in museum work. As such, I tend to dislike purely monetary motives for collecting. It's my belief that collecting should be for the educational value, to preserve historic documents etc. Sure, we all have a thought that our collection, or parts of it, might be highly valuable at some point We may even need to sell to make ends meet or some similar reason. I get that. My bias is purely personal, I'd never force it onto anyone. I was wondering how you feel about collecting?

Should it be done solely for its potential source of wealth? Or do you think it should be done for more intellectual( for lack of better words) reason? Should it be, to simplify for fun or profit?

Let's discuss!

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Collecting is foremost a hobby and as such albums, stockbooks, hinges and mounts have no monetary value to anyone else. Having said that when a collector spends a good sum of money for a rare stamp or cover it does go beyond intrinsic motivations. There are some stamps that are desirable and will always maintain value and there are some stamps that are coveted and are likely to appreciate. I think any collector motivated by profit may well be disappointed down the road so I do not suggest collecting for investment. The great thing about collecting, unlike some other hobbies, is that there is residual value down the road.

3. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

I don't see why one cannot do both Sarah. I have a collection of stamps worth quite a bit (I believe) and a collection of old comics and books not worth much but intensly interesting.

4. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

i collect worldwide stamps, and because of this i tend to buy bulk lots of stamps, i sort through and keep a UMM and fine used of anything i am missing from my collection, the rest are sorted into country and sold in sets to generate more revenue to buy more large lots with.

i also use the sale of the stamps to buy extra's like mounts and albums, meaning i get a great collection of stamps from every country and very little extra cost.

i would never sell my own collections, and although they are valued constantly this is only for insurance purposes

5. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

So you are firmly in the profit camp then?

6. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

not really profit as i invest it all back in to the collectionone way or another :D

7. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

For me it is a love of collecting, I have no idea as to how much my collection is worth (And thats for all of them LOL) I know that my coins are worth quite a lot but as for a figure!!

noble-history likes this.
  8. noble-history

noble-history Member

I love the collecting for the historical value.That is one reason I have began to like stamps on covers. But I also am in the process of getting rid of lots of my stamps and coins because I need the money to live. That's just the ways things go sometimes.

9. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I collect definitely for fun or for love of stamps. :D
    I am also not aware of the worth of my stamps in the market but definitely these stamps worth a lot for me. :p
    I think it could be both too since some might just have duplicates they do want to sell in order to acquire or buy more fro themselves and to complete their sets.

10. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

Of course, one CAN do it both ways. I excpet many people do. Fun and profit, to use the cliche are generally considered exclusive, but there's no reason why one can't do both.

I'm with Noble-History, I'm into the historical value. When I did it as a kid it was for ht geography. I loved discovering new countries, some barely more than tiny dots on a map or globe.

Now I'm also into the challenge of finding the rare, unusual etc stamps. Yes, they are the ones worth more, but that's secondary for me. .

Draft saved Draft deleted