Philatelic Literature

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

I am working on a comprehensive list of sources for philatelic literature.

I've found these websites. Others, please? Obviously, the associations/societies/organizations typically have a storefront, also.

Also, is there a comprehensive catalog of philatelic literature in English? I have several catalogs, but I haven't seen a full list if one exists.

http://www.philbansner.com/literature.asp

http://pbbooks.com/

http://www.hhsales.co.uk/

http://www.jameslee.com/books.htm

www.pennymead.com

www.philabooks.com

Any particularly recommended for U.S. material?

Sorry for so many posts, asking newbie-like questions. I've been out of the hobby for a long while, playing catch-up. StampCommunity has some good resources but I am hesitant of posting there, getting my head bitten off. Folks seem friendlier here.

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

The catalog for the APRL incorporates 12 separate libraries, it is for all intent and purposes a "one stop" search for philatelic journals, books and reference.

I really haven't found much better online sources than you what you have linked Molokai. Philatelic literature hasn't been on the forefront of my collecting interests, but it has been enlightening and certainly not in any way tiresome to someone who has up to now wholely ignored the subject. Hopefully other members may be able to add to the list.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Maybe you can try visiting the links posted in the Favorite links thread. There might be something useful for you there. :)

4. Molokai

Hochstrasse likes this.
  5. Hochstrasse

For what's it worth Wikipedia confirms the list of publications of Fred Melville you link to. I didn't find a book for the period 1911-1921. He indeed was a prolific writer and many of his works are still available on Amazon, 75 years after his death. For his writings to still be sought after must indicate the value of his knowledge of the subject matter. Thanks for the link Molokai. I'm going to keep my eyes open for some of his books at the stamp shows.

6. Molokai

Hi, Hoch - You are welcome. It just seems odd he would cover the entire range, skip 11-21.

7. Hochstrasse

Yes it is sort of a glaring hole in his authorship on stamps. Maybe he thought that the peculiar niche of Washington-Franklin issues was already adequately covered by other author or authors?

8. Molokai

Hi, Hoch - Do you know of any books on the Black Jack specifically other than the Lane book on the Allen collection and the Cole book? I know there are several Black Jack auction catalogs available...but I am not quite to buying catalogs yet with a list of nearly 100 books I still need.

9. Hochstrasse

I have seen old catalogs being given away at many of the stamps shows here in California. Personally I wouldn't spend money on them. As far as literature on the Black Jack goes, I don't know of any specifically. I take a look and see if there is anything beyond the Allen and Cole books.

10. Molokai

The catalogs are 'pretty' but few have much useful information. Still, I'll probably bite for some of those with sales in my domains.

In any case I may be a failure as a philatelist, Hoch. I had a 'found' $100 to spend - bet the Broncos on Sunday - had to choose between a really nice Pictorial on eBay or buying the four 1869 Registers. I bought the Registers...:(

zararina and Hochstrasse like this.
  11. Hochstrasse

Well done Molokai! As all good philatelists know "knowledge is king". Does this complete your run of the Registers?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  12. Molokai

Yes, I have all four Registers - 1976, 1977, 1978, 1982 - or will have them when they arrive. I just had a book from San Francisco wind up in Honolulu instead of Colorado! Still hunting issues of the 1869 Times. I have six issues only and it ran from 1975-1991 - probably 75 or so in the complete run.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  13. Hochstrasse

Excellent! Running down all the issues will be a tough sled, but could be a wonderful legacy item.

14. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Good luck in completing those issues, it will surely bring you happiness. :)

15. Molokai

Howdy Hoch! Just letting you know I found a full set of The 1869 Times (minus only the final issue #53) so I think my 1869 library is complete. Too bad I don't have any money now for the stamps themselves. LOL!

Hochstrasse likes this.
  16. Hochstrasse

Very nice Molokai! I got the book I ordered a couple of days ago, "American Philatelic Miscellany". The article "A Study of the Colors of the 1861" is a fantastic read. Thanks again!

17. Molokai

Glad you like it, Hoch! Seems there are some real bargains in philatelic literature if one keeps alert to them. I bought Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Stamps of the United States 1933-45 for 1c on Amazon and found it a terrific read.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  18. Hochstrasse

I remember you mentioning the book. At that price it really is a give-away. Amazon is a great source, I'll keep checking them periodically.

Draft saved Draft deleted