Philatelic Event Covers

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by DonSellos, Mar 25, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

This is a thread that most collectors can post to. Who doesn't acquire a stamp show cover from time to time. I have a few contemporary ones, but favor those prepared in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, all of which are readily available at reasonable prices at shows and on eBay . The one below is from the 1930 American Philatelic Society Convention held in conjunction with the National Philatelic Exhibition in Boston.

Don

aaa.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Molokai and Werner Salentin like this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Another specialty! I have some Cinderellas from some old shows, but no covers.

I'm working on a couple book reviews but waiting for the ad flurry to be over, sort of puts a chill on other posters I think.

3. DonSellos

Molokai:

What ad flurry? I'm not understanding this.

Don

4. DonSellos

Youth is the theme for this cover commemorating the 1949 annual stamp show sponsored by the Dayton, Ohio Philatelic Society. The cachet maker has linked stamp collecting to good citizenship, but the slogan "Youth of Today, Men of Tomorrow" fails to include girls in the process. The cover would be considered politically incorrect in today's society. The cover appropriately franked with Scott 963, the 1948 stamp commemorating Youth Month, is ironically addressed to a girl. :shame:

Don

aaa.jpg

Molokai and Werner Salentin like this.
  5. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

You have some wonderful items <DON>! I wish I hadn't stopped collecting for 40+ years...:(

6. DonSellos

Still time to catch up. Lots of interesting covers available at bargain prices. I rarely pay more than $10 for a cover. Thanks for your kind remark.

Don

Draft saved Draft deleted