one way to spend an afternoon

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Larry L. Taylor, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

One of the dominant issues that has taken the pleasure out of stamp collecting are those damnable self-adhesive stamps.

I just spent about 1-1/2 hours removing 28 SA stamps from paper. Still didn't quite get all the stickum off the stamps, but will work on that tomorrow.

2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Good luck to that. :D

3. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Ronsonol lighter fluid will loosen the gum and once removed and the fluid evaporated dust the reverse lightly with a non-scented talcum powder or corn starch. The latter will retard the residual stickiness.

Don

Hochstrasse likes this.
  4. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

I use naptha out of a needle oiler to get the stamp off the paper, and then Pure Citrus (citrus oil spray) to dissolve the gum. Sometimes it takes more than one treatment; depends on how 'sticky' I let the paper towel get before I decide to change it. But yes, I do keep some talc around to counter the more onerous residual stickiness.

5. derailed

derailed Active Member

Well, this is not one of my favorite things to do. It's boring, thus tiring to me. But I agree with you, it's one way to spend some time. Good luck!

6. zararina

There was a thread here discussing about how to remove gums or stamps on paper but first time to know about that Ronsonol lighter fluid and corn starch. Thanks for sharing that. :D

7. Steverd

Steverd Member

I've never tried "un-do label remover" on stamps, But it's like MAGIC for many things, like labels, price tags, stickers, etc.... Dries invisible also....

zararina likes this.
  8. zararina

Will do some research of that un-do label remover. I am not familiar with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted