Olympic stamps worth collecting or pass

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Nostalgia, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Nostalgia

Nostalgia New Member

Since the games have ended, are Olympic stamps worth collecting or are they a novelty item everyone has?

2. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 25 of the 29 gold medal GB mini sheets so far but I only got them because I collect GB LOL

3. RossTO

RossTO Member

To me a stamp is a stamp is a stamp. If it falls within a country I collect then it is worth collecting.

4. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

I think they're a novelty to those who were there at the time collecting Olympic memorabilia, but are not stamp collectors. They'll be collectible to the Olympic stamp topical collectors, and to the dedicated country collectors.

Would I put them in my collection? If the price were right. I wouldn't buy them for the novelty item they are, nor would I go out of my way to find/buy them.

5. David Logan

David Logan Member

I;m with steve, but i will also be going for the paraolympic gold medal stamp sheets. Mind you there not all that cheap in one lump sum lol

6. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats true, I complained to the Royal mail about that aspect LOL

7. RossTO

RossTO Member

They are by definition a commemorative stamp as they commemorate the successes of the GB athletes at the 2012 Olympics. They are valid for postage, and will be issued Scott/Stanley Gibbons numbers. Therefore they are more than just a novelty item.

Draft saved Draft deleted