olympic games stamps

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by tasha, Feb 24, 2016.

1. tasha

tasha Active Member

this year is the Olympic games and it would be fun to see what sort of stamps will be printed along with the original circles. If you find any surfacing then let us see them here

2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

3. tasha

tasha Active Member

oh great! will take a look and see what it is all about. When we had the world cup here it was fantastic and everything was about the world cup it brings such a great atmosphere to the country. I think the Olympics would be the same and all I have seen are the usual links on postage never anything different

4. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello all, I visited the UK for the 2012 Olympics, we could see the opening ceremony firework display from my house. While there I ordered the full set of British Gold medal winners stamps. 29 for the summer and 34 para-olympic gold medal winners, plus the 2012 Games stamps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards, James.

Hochstrasse and zararina like this.
  5. zararina

Good looking sets. :)

6. tasha

tasha Active Member

that is a great set to have, our country is so backwards when it comes to things like this because this is a good idea and it would make people buy them too

7. James-2489

Hello all, I was very pleased with my stamps even though they cost three months of my stamp budget, they came in a purpose made stamp album which was good.

The other thing that our post office did was that for every gold medal winner, 63 + team medals, near 100 in total, they painted the winners local post box gold. I believe this is to be permanent tribute to the medalists, all our other post boxes are red.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics_and_Paralympics_gold_post_boxes

http://www.goldpostboxes.com/gallery

Regards, James.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  8. zararina

Good way to honor the gold medalists aside from their commemorative stamps. :)

9. tasha

tasha Active Member

that is a great way to honour them and probably not here because our paralymic gold winner is a murderer and he would have shot the post box!

10. James-2489

Hello all, these are some of my Olympic Games stamps for the 1948 London Olympics.
    Date of issue: 1948-07-29

upload_2016-3-3_9-47-13.png

Regards, James.

zararina likes this.
  11. Makanudo

Makanudo Moderator Moderator

Hi James,

In order to lean on your post of 1948 olympics...
    oi5.jpg

James-2489 and zararina like this.
  12. Makanudo

Makanudo Moderator Moderator

Heres an ecuador OI tribute
    ecoi.jpg

James-2489 and zararina like this.
  13. zararina

Good to see a Mother and child art, the Ecuador version in a postal stamp. :)

Makanudo likes this.
  14. amelia88

amelia88 Member

I know we're only talking about Rio stamps right now, for this years Olympic Games - but I am sure excited to see what Japan are going to come out (stamp wise) with to commemorate their Olympic games in 2020. We're still a few years away from that, but I'm already anticipating they will do something interesting!

Draft saved Draft deleted