Featured Old purchases found...

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by desertgem, Jun 22, 2014.

1. desertgem

desertgem Active Member

Well they really weren't lost, just hidden away. About 30 years or more ago, I had this habit of buying old, partial albums at stamp shows. These albums had been searched by dealers themselves, but I had lower expectations at that time than they did. So for a small sum, I would take home an old treasure book and enjoy going through and taking stamps I did not have and then having this remaindered albums. I thought about putting this on ebay, but decided to look through it first. The album
    [​IMG]

So all the stamps were in my collecting period of pre-1940 classics. The former owner had inserted many clippings interleaved fro his/her local newspaper stamp column, which I don't know how many exist in current non-philatelic papers.

[​IMG]

Just to illustrate the stamps quality here is a page inserted but not album's since the stamps of Fiume were only from 1918-24 and thus later than publication.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_of_Fiume
    [​IMG]

Close up.

[​IMG]

If you go to a stamp show or even see stamps advertised on Craigslist , at least check through some pages. Always surprises , good and bad :)

Jim

James-2489 and Peter T Davis like this.
  2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

A nice find Jim. I sometimes wished I had done what you did, buying the old remainder albums at stamp shows. In years back they were much more prevalent. Now I suppose most of that stuff goes up on Ebay and other sites. A good tip about keeping an open eye on those sort of offers. You never know when you will find a "diamond in the rough". :happy:

3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Great that you have found it again and posted the stamps here. :)

4. jim72051

jim72051 Active Member

I started collecting all the various Scott albums before 1945. They put some out every year for different levels of collectors. I call them the browns and the blues. The browns were for the "serious" collectors and only came out every 5 to 10 years or so and the powder blue ones were call the juniors and they came out every year. I probably have about 40 of them. I just found a different one at a stamp show on the kids table. It is "The Imperial Stamp Album" by Scott and only about 10 x 7 x 1/2. It has almost no stamps and a broken binder but it is the only one like it I have ever seen.

5. zararina

Do you have plans on restoring that binder and completing the stamps on it?

6. rainydaystamps

rainydaystamps New Member

I've picked up a fair few of these old albums over the years and I really enjoy the sense of history they provide. Often they are inscribed with the owner's name and other oddments throughout that can really add to the charm.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  7. zararina

I also have some oddments on my stamp albums such as a photo sticker of myself and nameplates. :p

8. CalzoneManiac

CalzoneManiac Member

Neat! Great job!

9. Very interesting! I take it that you're a history buff. I always believe it is good to have a permanent reminder of history. We must never forget. I couldn't stop looking at the Fiume ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted