Old member returning w/ ? Canadian Stamp Auction Houses?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Harry Golightly, May 28, 2020.

1. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Greetings group,
    I've been considering putting the British Commonwealth part of my stamp collection up for auction as I have gone as far as I originally planned.
    The collection has no extremely rare stamps, but several do catalogue over 1000£. All are MNH and include complete sets w/ many multiples & varieties. For a guide of collected countries I have used each Br. Commonwealth country celebrating QE-II Coronation in 1953. Each country is represented w/ a set or multiple sets dating prior to 1970. Most sets range in the 35-200£ Gibbons 2020 CV & for from QE-II, Geo-VI & Geo-V's reign.
    Although living in the Southern U.S. I thought that a Canadian Auction house could possibly 'draw' more interest in bidders and was hoping for some feedback from the StampExchange members, if possible.
    Thank you for any consideration,
    HGG

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Welcome, Unhinged, to the Exchange. Unfortunately, I have no experience with auction houses. Others may, however.

Don

3. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

The only Canadian auction house I am familiar with is Vance Auctions.I only have experiences with auction houses as a buyer ,and only use those without a hefty buyer,s premium.If you have the time,I would suggest putting a few on Ebay just to test the waters.
    Bob

4. Harry Golightly

Much Thanks to Bob & Don for their comments.
    I've sold on eBay since 1997 (paulgol 2954) & for these last 5 years or so just been
    an occasional buyer. As you may well imagine, I've seen eBay's policies go from bad to worse & now w/ them sticking 'Taxes' on all purchases I would prefer taking a loss, rather than piecemeal the collection. Thusly avoiding the hassle of mailing, returns, etc, etc.
    I'm probably not going to act on any selling off until this virus thing is sorted out.
    (Although, this may be the perfect time to sell as so many of us find ourselves at home and need a good hobby to fill the time)
    Six one way, half a dozen the other,
    H.G.

5. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

HG....What,s the latest on this ?

6. Bj Slusarczyk

Bj Slusarczyk New Member

I know of two other auctions
    There are two auction houses I occasionally use in Canada. The first, is Eastern Auctions and the second, is KMP Philately in Malartic, Quebec.

7. Harry Golightly

Hi Anglobob & Bj,
    Thanks for the tip on the 2 Canadian auction houses. KMP seems to be more or less dealing w/ self-listings whereas Eastern Auctions deals in large auctions of separate
    and/or complete collections.
    My collection has no great rarities, but many complete MNH sets of QE-II, Geo-VI
    & Geo-V material ranging in 2019 Gibbons catalogue values of 50-2000£. Most sets in that middle range & affordable to most collectors & I have gone to excessive pains to assure the quality of each stamp is either VF/XF/Gem quality (e.g. centering/perforation/gum quality)
    Guess we'll see how things 'wash out'.
    Stay Safe & Healthy,
    Harry

8. Bj Slusarczyk

Bj Slusarczyk New Member

Good Morning Harry,
    Those sound like very nice quality sets. A big plus for any auction. Does using a Canadian Auction house have to be the clincher? There is a very reliable one in Danbury, CT, Daniel F. Kelleher Auctions, info@kelleherauctions.com. They have weekly internet auctions and larger ones every couple of months with a vast range of very nice material. Sounds to me from your descriptions, that your collection would fit well.
    Have a great weekend and stay safe,
    Bj

9. Harry Golightly

Hi Bj,
    My thinking on choosing a Canadian Auction house was that they would more likely have Buyers looking for Commonwealth material. Moreso than the U.S. Houses.
    However, finding the best 'fit' for my level of material (both quality & price) is equally important & a Canadian choice is not written in stone.
    2 Years ago I sold my MNH Iceland collection through a NYC auction house. (A $50K Cat. Value collection sold for $5K.) Admittedly, Brit. Commonwealth material is probably more desirable both Then & Now. Needless to say, I was underwhelmed so I promised myself I'd try and be as selective as possible this time.
    I will reach out to Kelleher Auctions & see if they are interested in receiving the list of material I offer.
    Thank you again for your kind input concerning this matter.
    Best regards,
    Harry

10. Colin G Fraser

Colin G Fraser New Member

Given the weakness in the Canadian dollar that may not be your best choice. Moreover, given the very high costs associated with selling at auction - the sum of the seller commission PLUS the buyer premium yes it does really come out of your pocket too, you (like manynmothers) would be better selling outright to a reputable dealer. Look at the ASDA web site for a dealer in your area or a reputable name you are familiar with.

11. Harry Golightly

Thanks Collin,
    I had a B. Commonwealth dealer interested but ended up his buyers were only interested in earlier material. He did offer interest in my Geo-V sets if I decided to break up collection.
    Guess it wouldn't be amiss to check dealers in TX. Unfortunately Houston only has 2 that are 1/2 decent and both are quite adept at the low-balling practices.
    Perhaps Dallas, San Antonio or Austin dealers might be an avenue worth checking.
    Your input is much appreciated.
    Thanks again,
    HGG

12. Bj Slusarczyk

Bj Slusarczyk New Member

Hello Harry,
    One more option, a few years ago I sold my mint Russian Collection. I was going threw all my choices and had contacted several reputable dealers, but they only wanted to "cherry pick". My final call was to Dr. Robert Friedman & Sons, after arranging for shipment for their review and receipt I was rewarded with a very fair offer for the whole collection. Their contact info is in the APS Journal.
    Stay safe.
    Best regards,
    Bj

13. Harry Golightly

Thanks BJ,
    I'll send him my usual 'introduction & desire to sell' letter &
    will keep you apprised of my headway.
    HG

14. Bj Slusarczyk

Bj Slusarczyk New Member

Good Morning HG,
    I wish nothing but good luck!
    Have a safe day.
    Bj

15. Harry Golightly

Unfortunately, after sending out 4 introductory letters to both Canadian & U.S.
    auction houses and flat out 'Buyers', there has been nothing but 'crickets'!
    Not to worry, however, as there is no need to rush to sell.
    Thanks to one & all who responded w/ suggestions,
    HG

Draft saved Draft deleted