off centered stamps

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Koen, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Koen

Koen Member

Do off centered stamps have more or less value then nicely centered ones?
    And howmuch off cener do they need to be to have some value?

Just wondering

2. Equinox

Equinox Member

Im no expert, but I would say an misperf stamp would have a higher value that regular in the case of modern stamps nearly 10 out of 10 times. However in the case of any Victorian to Edward VI issues it is important for the stamp to be well centerd with an equal margin all around, and in this case only stamps which are severely misperf to the stage where it is highly noticeable and unusual that the value would be increased!

Hope this helps out at all!
    Like I said I'm no expert and would imagine that others could help you out far than me!

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Strive to acquire stamps with the best centering you can find and/or afford because they command the highest prices. An off centered stamp is not considered as collectable and the more off center it is the less likely it's worth much of anything and certainly less than catalog value. If it is mis-perforated say down through half the stamp design it might be considered an E.F.O. (Error, Freak, Oddity) and is only really collected by error collectors but it would really have to be something out there to be considered highly valuable/collectable. Hope this helps some.

4. Koen

Koen Member

Thank you for the info.
    I asked this in the knowledge that off centered coins (when they are off centered enough) have a certain value.
    I tought fr stamps it would be the same.

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I am also a numismatist and sadly no, stamps are printed and coins are minted.

6. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Stamps off center more than 5mm are oddities but if you get blocks or mutiples of missperforations they can get pricey View attachment 2156

Tom D and steve logan like this.
  7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

What he said! ‡

8. Equinox

Equinox Member

That must have cost a few ducats!

9. West

West New Member

I very recently discovered that some collectors thematically save mistakes only. So I would now buy up anything that has been erroneously produced with the hope of trading later once I get confident enough. [see 'Stamp of the Day' for my first such acqusition].
    I guess perforations in the wrong place comes under this heading along with upside down stamps and stamps with incorrect colours.

10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Yup!! and they are usually referred to E.F.O.'s -Errors, Freaks & Oddities.

POLICEDIVER likes this.
  11. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Be aware however that stamps can be chemically and via natural influences be altered.

Colours can be removed chemically or altered. Some stamps may be called changlings, green over time and natural influences may turn blue etc.

So the odd different colour may not always be a different colour but manufactured to defraud collectors. Colour can also not be for certain identified via the Net and is a job for Expertisers for their certification of a stampI

12. Equinox

Equinox Member

13. POLICEDIVER

POLICEDIVER Member

That is a find!! I have a friend in S A in Linbro Park Gauteng and he says the post office is a hit or miss on being open...and half the time they don't have many stamps, the last letter I received was all 20c stamps on it, 22 in total front and back of the envelope....

14. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

So bad already ! Then I was lucky to get this:-
    View attachment 2501

Registered with correct postage.

POLICEDIVER, Tom D and Jay like this.
  15. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Nice cover but a tad heavy on the old cancellation device eh? Methinks so!

POLICEDIVER likes this.
  16. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Fact is this type of cancellation was introduced recently (2008) doing away with round cancellers in some areas.

Because it was a registered item they do mostly get cancelled at the counter.

The registration label is on the back with additional postage.
    The Monkeys are of the dropped name variety and worth more so, on a commercially used cover.

The marks on the Address was purposely disfigured which is otherwise neat.

17. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Really?? That's awesome. Thank you Philactica!

18. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I liked the old C.D.S.'s and when I receive parcels from Canada that rectangle cancel is normally on the reverse. Never seen it all over the front before?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [Circular Date Stamp]

19. POLICEDIVER

POLICEDIVER Member

That is the common one now I am afraid...only the main office has a CDS now.. And I hate the fact it has the Canada Post name and logo in the middle that really mucks up the stamps...I take my mail to a little post office and the postmaster lets me hand cancel the stamps, I usually hit them upside down so it shows the office and date and leaves the >advertising" out...LOL

20. POLICEDIVER

POLICEDIVER Member

also make sure the stamp isnt over inked, I hit beside the stamps first to get some of the ink off

Draft saved Draft deleted