Ocean Liners

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, Feb 3, 2018.

1. anglobob

anglobob Active Member

Have found threads about modern naval ships,sailing ships and ancient vessels.Hopefully this will add to the topic.
    The following stamps were issued in 1935 to commemorate the Paquebot Normandie.There were two different colour variations.
    Normandie 1.jpg

2. anglobob

anglobob Active Member

This is a French cinderella stamp also showing the Paquebot Normandie.I personally find this stamp much more interesting and colourful. Normandie.jpg

Makanudo, DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  3. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Pretty stamps but I agree the cinderella is more impressive. The sea has been a calling to many men over the centuries, naturally quite a few stamps. "Seemann, Seemann deine heimat ist das meer..." A very beautiful German song; check it out on YouTube by Lolita.

You won't find this ocean liner (the Conte Biancamo) on a stamp - it is a picture postcard my paternal grandparents sent home when they went back to Italy in 1929 to show how well they did in the New Country. It was mailed with a 2c Washington 4th Bureau stamp...not sure how that works while at sea.

CBship.jpg

Makanudo, DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  4. anglobob

anglobob Active Member

Very interesting....

Not familiar with the Lolita version of the song you mentioned.I remember a version by Petula Clark back when I was a youngster.

Molokai likes this.
  5. Molokai

Yes, I seem to remember Petula Clark doing a version of it. There were three foreign language songs that made it big in the States when I was a kid - Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto in Japanese, Seemann in German by Lolita (Edith Einzinger) and Dominique by the Singing Nun (Jeanine Deckers) in French. Songs are typically best in their native tongue.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    anglobob likes this.
  6. anglobob

anglobob Active Member

A very rare error from France, Paquebot Pasteur. This stamp was issued in 1941 and had a surcharge of 1fr 70c overprinted on the stamp.This stamp is missing the surcharges.There is an example for sale on Delcampe for 35,000 Euros.Don,t think my wife would be too happy if I bought this....... paquebot pasteur.jpg

7. Molokai

A lovely stamp!

Ha! I catch it from my wife whenever another box of books arrives. "Are you going to collect stamps or stamp books?" "Why do you need more chess books now - even your phone can beat you no matter how much you read!"

Draft saved Draft deleted