New vs. Used Stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by MikeTheTech, Sep 1, 2011.

1. MikeTheTech

MikeTheTech Member

I've noticed that there is a HUGE price difference between New and Used stamps. Can anyone give the reasoning for this? I assume it's simply because it's harder to find unused stamps, but at the same time, used stamps still have the same look, design, and I feel like they would have more "story" with age and use. Am I right to assume it's due to the rarity?

Also, when you glue a stamp into your collection (lick, heat, place, or whatever) does it change its status from new to used? Or only when they actually go through shipping? Thanks in advance!

2. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Very few stamps are worth more used than unused.
    There is something to be appreciated with both.
    The used stamp has done it's job, made history in some small way, and usually has character through it's cancel.
    Then the unused stamp is (unless damaged) unblemished art, pristine.

I am collecting much like I collect coins...
    I fill the album holes with used until such time as I can upgrade to a better looking used, or eventually unused, then finally 'mint' (practically perfect).

DO NOT ADHERE STAMPS DIRECTLY TO ANYTHING.
    They make 'hinges' for average (not rare) used stamps, or 'mounts' for better stamps.
    Unused stamps should always be mounted.
    Hinging reduced value and potentially damages the unused stamp.

Jay likes this.
  3. MikeTheTech

MikeTheTech Member

I guess that's a good thing for me. While I do want to get a few rare and unused stamps in my collection, the fact that they're used actually adds more character for me, so I can probably find cool stamps for my personal collection (stamps that I don't buy on worth, but buy on coolness, lol) on the cheap, just because I don't mind buying used.

I'll definitely look into getting mounts and hinges at the local Michael's or Beverly's. Thanks!

4. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Hope you have better luck on finding stamp supplies locally. Here in the New Orleans area, there is no one that sells stamp supplies. :(

5. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I buy my mounts from a seller called "nolastamps" on eBay.
    I don't know if they have a store or not, but they are in New Orleans.

6. kacyds

kacyds New Member

No store, he works out of his house. Real nice guy and have traded some stamps and supplies with him.

7. MikeTheTech

MikeTheTech Member

Oh neat, I'll look nolastamps up on eBay and see what kind of rates he has and what he might have available. Thanks! I've been finding some really neat things on eBay for my collection lately, so it's good to know what sellers to look for. :)

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I ONLY collect postally used United States stamps. Like ratio411 most eloquently put, They have done their postal duty and may have changed the world in some small way, you just never know. I love to see a nice cork cancel or a neat old fashioned machine stamp and of course, the hand-stamped ones like the duplex cancel.
    Some folks actually collect cancels and the cancel can be worth far more than the stamp in some cases. I just enjoy used stamps in F/EF condition. If you want to learn more about cancels and cancel esoterica, let me know! I have some cool links to some great information I could post if any interest arises. For example:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Intern..._center_and_simulated_perforation_outer_frame.

9. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Everyone is different. I noticed that some people collect only mint, others used, and others it doesnt matter as long they are stamps. lol Personally most of my US stamps are used. They have done there job and are resting in my album. lol I like the different cancellations that are on the stamps. I have a small collection of stamps that have New Orleans cancelled on them.

Now for my airmail plate blocks and booklets, they are all mint, with glue, and never hinged.

Whats great about this hobby is that we collect something alittle different. That what makes it exciting and interesting. Never a dull moment!!!! :D

10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Anything after about 1940's-50-ish I'll try and get them in mint condition. I think most collectors that I know usually only go for MNH or MLH. I own a farm and don't have much, if any, disposable income and some of the classics can get pricey fast!

11. kacyds

kacyds New Member

I understand that fully about disposable income. What kind of farm do you own, if you dont mind me asking?

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Chickens, ducks Cows and a horse or three. 2 barns and 100+ acres of corn, soybeans, wheat & winter wheat.
    Here is my immediate view out my stamp room windows as of a few days ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sndmn59 and Darrin like this.
  13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Those white things are Natural Gas wells.

14. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

wow what a view, now i would love to get up to that scenery every morning

i am a city dweller now, but in my early teens i used to work on farms before and after school, and buy lots of mint stamps with the wages i collected.

in my mid 20's after leaving the army, i spent the summers on 3-4 farms around Kent UK, hay bailing, that was in the days where they all had to manually picked up loaded on to trailers, then taken off and loaded in to sheds, mostly with a pitchfork, it was a great time at the end of August, but that was all spoilt with the invention of the larger tractors and bailers.

as for collecting, i collect both mint and used, and feel a collection is not complete unless i have both in my album. I have many FDC but i do not collect these now, as they take up far too much room, so try and sell or trade them so i can purchase more stamps.

as for storage, all my stamps are placed in either stockbooks (these i am trying to get rid of though), or on album pages with clear mounts i purchase from http://www.fte-shop.co.uk/download/sample.html

Using the mounts is an expensive option for any collector but i believe that they are well worth the money, as they make your collection shine.

i detest hinges, and when i recieve stamps with a hinge on, or stuck down in a crappy old paper page album i do get rather upset lol

15. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Wow what beautiful scenery. I would love looking at that everyday, without a soul around. Lived in the city all my life, but would love to live somewhere like that. Looks like the trees are already turning color for the fall.

steve logan likes this.
  16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Yup definitely Fall is certainly in the air. It's raining this evening though. The sunrises are just spectacular here! I love my fortress of solitude!

kacyds likes this.
  17. kacyds

kacyds New Member

I have a horticulture degree. I own my own business doing plant health - spraying for insects, fungus, etc, fertilization, weed control. Im a city farmer then! lol

Jay likes this.
  18. MikeTheTech

MikeTheTech Member

Wow, that's a great view! How far is it from town? I used to go camping in a similar styles area that a family member owned. It was just far enough from all the towns to give an amazing view of the stars at night.

19. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

I collect both used and mint stamps. If I don't have it then any condition will do for me. As far as the hinges and mounts go, I use mounts for my US album and stockbooks for my other countries. I have some hinges that I will never use, If u want them Mike just let me know. Its a pack of 1000, so it should help u get started.

20. MikeTheTech

MikeTheTech Member

I appreciate the offer, but I've read some really bad things about stamp hinges. I was actually considering using split-back mounts which seem fairly inexpensive. What are your thoughts on both types?

Draft saved Draft deleted