New to stamp collecting

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tom D, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Hey Dave welcome, Me, I am new to collecting stamp and I first started by Googling different countries and just stamps in general and that alone kept me busy. But the one thing I did Find is this Forum, and it is one great family. Right now for me there are a lot of people with much greater knowledge then I on stamps, US and beyond. I hope to gain in knowledge and joy of stamp collecting for the rest of my life. I had bought one pound of world stamps (1,500), 400 Russian and 75 Russian stamps from ebay and the finds that I had gotten was wonderful. My wife was amazed when I was putting the stamps in piles of countries, of the different countries there are/were and the different designs of stamps. United States stamps are also as beautyful and bring memories of using them when I was younger. I hope we talk for many years on our new finds. Tom

2. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Dave

welcome to the forum there are a great group of people on here, as you will find out the more you visit.

I gather as you are from the UK like myself, I would hazard a guess that you have an early GB collection at least, and i have found speaking with different people over the globe, it is normally a good bet to start with the country you live in to put a collection together as they are the easiest stamps for you to obtain.
    there are lots of different ways to collect, All worldwide is my preference, some collect themes, others only before or after a certain time frame, or era.

You need to have a think at what you will enjoy the most from the hobby added to the time you have available to dedicate to your collection.

If you check through the treads, I believe that Alvin one of the more long standing members had an off of a small bundle if mixed stamps to new beginners, and I will also send a small mixed pack if you let us know where you collection is going to start.

If you send me your address on conversation (click in my name in a thread and then click start a conversation) as that is private not public, and I will get a bundle out to you in the next few days

Steve

3. David Logan

David Logan Member

Hi steve Sorry for the extremely long delay in geeting back to you, after musch consideration i have decided just to collect everything rather than just concentrate on one particular country. Atleast then it gives me a much broader scope to stamp collecting.

P.s are you a realation ?:) lol

steve logan likes this.
  4. David Logan

David Logan Member

Hi Tom Sorry for the extremely long delay in geeting back to you, after musch consideration i have decided just to collect everything rather than just concentrate on one particular country. Atleast then it gives me a much broader scope to stamp collecting.
    I did mangw to get a really good deal on ebay around 20kg of world stamps, Its taking forever to sort, should keep me going for a while

5. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Well David i do have a cousin called David, but I know that is not you lol

I am from the Yorkshire Logan Clan, according to the family history I have studied so far we have a coat of arms, that has a White Rose, a Thistle, and a shield with 3 arrows in it. I have been told this is because we used to be settled in Scotland (The Thistle), then were chased out by three clans (the 3 arrows on the shield), and we finally stopped running and settled in Yorkshire hence the white rose!

If any of that sounds familiar then we could be related just a few times removed as they say lol

As for your 20kg buy off eBay, that does sound like a great start, although I hope they are not all on paper, as I have still not got around to soaking any of mine off yet, and I have been collecting a long time.

If you need any help, or would like a catalogue or 2, I have a few spare here, just let me know and i will post down to you

I hope your collection grows, and we can start to see some of it online, (Catawiki is a great tool to use as an inventory for your collection)

6. David Logan

David Logan Member

Hi Steve
    My coat of arms is a heart witrh a dagger through it (nice). As far as i know we are from the Mccloud clan. I have managed to lay my hands on a complete set of 2010 S.G catalogues at a very good price. so that should keep me going for a while.

As for the stamps all i've seen at the minute appears to be from the late 40's onwards. Eventualy i will post pictures online. But for now i am just trying to get my head around all the stamps. There is just to many. If i start at A i might see Z this time next year. lol:D

7. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

I picked up a massive selection off eBay about 3 years ago, it was 7 large boxes just over 300,000 stamps, a mix of on and off paper and i did the same as you (A steal at £904.00) alphbetically first.

As I found 2 full seahorse sets in the GB stamps, one I have here in my collection and the other I sold back on eBay for a tidy £1050 J

I first sorted by letters of the alphabet in to separate boxes, that took forever and I even had a bit of help from a friend of mine who had come over from Malaysia lol

And it is now 3 years on and I still have boxes that I have not yet sorted in to countries, but I am flying along now with the aid of Catawiki.com, rather than SG online, but I would hazard a guess as there are about 100,000+ (off Paper) I have not yet sorted through.

I did the easy ones first, so any in English as I thought I would do these faster, but with watermark, and colour variations on most GB and Colony stamps makes it quite difficult lol

I try and do a few every day if I can, and will soon only be left with the stamps on paper, then I will have to try and get them off, never really done that before lol

Well if your history takes you back to Scotland then we could be related in a small way, would be interesting to dig a bit deeper LOL
    Steve

8. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL my lot came via the Gunn clan and Cumberland into Yorkshire then Wales so it is a small world

9. 13w

13w New Member

I thought this would be easy hmmm.

I used to collect stamps when I was a kid, but then like you do, I let my album go, along with my other toys and comics. Guess that's what everyone does, the comics would be worth about a fiver a piece now, the album, well it was just one of those world books with a page for each country and I used to buy packets of stamps from Stamp Corner and stick them in the boxes. I threw the queen Victoria's away because they weren't smart enough.!!!
    So move along a few years and I have an accident in the car and manage to kill the wife and my son. My daughter walked away unscathed but I broke my spine. So what does a middle aged man who has to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair do for fun?
    Sitting down hobbiesSo I returned to stamp collecting and quickly realised I could not afford to save everything. I knew this time around that penny blacks would hold their value, something to leave Teri when I shuffle off, that may be worth a bit. I collect 'anything stampish' that has a penny black theme. Don't really want to put my stuff on here it seems like bragging, but I will acquire anything you might like in exchange for penny black related stuff.
    Sorry to bang on a bit but I was asked to do this. Come and say Hi guys and find me something tasty.

steve logan likes this.
  10. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Welcome to the forum 13wi hope we can accomate your needs here, i know Bickerstonehall have a mini sheet with 8 penny blacks, commereration the first stamp see the link below, and i am sure other members would be able to help as well.

http://www.stampexchange.com/forum/index.php?threads/eight-penny-blacks-on-one-page.406/#post-5755 but i now see you found it :)
    showing your stamps on here is not bragging, it lets us members see your collection, leave comments, help with any bits you are missing, i show mine off everyday :)

so it will be great to see something when you have the time

Steve

11. 13w

13w New Member

thanks stevie

12. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Steve,

You such a show off. :eek::p lol

But we all enjoy seeing your stamps, Thanks

Kris

steve logan likes this.
  13. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

all the hard work i do loading new stamps every day, of course i am a show off :D, i just do not think there are enough days left in my life to get them all onto catawiki :rolleyes:

14. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Just have to work harder and put more time into it....... lol:D

Draft saved Draft deleted