New to stamp collecting

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tom D, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Hi I'm Tom and I'm new to collecting stamps, (about 4 months). I am interested in United States stamps and world stamps. I never thought stamp collecting could be so fun and enlightening.

2. desertgem

desertgem Active Member

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. It is a hobby that can be actively pursued, set aside for a while for life to happen, and picked up again and is just as binding. Bets to your endeavors.

Jim

3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum Tom :D

4. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

welcome to the forum, and share some of your interest or thoughts of what you are starting to collect and maybe someone here can help you get started a little easier:D

5. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Hello Tom and welcome to the forum.
    Nice to have you here and hope that you will continuously find stamps collecting as a fun hobby. ;)

6. Darrin

Darrin Active Member

Welcome to the Forum, Tom. Nice to see a fellow Michigander on board. I just realized you are about an hour drive east of me....Perhaps we have met at some of the shows here in Grand Rapids...

7. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Hi Darrin,
    As I said new to stamp collecting, so what shows, Where do I find out about them? I have gotten the most help since I joined the Stamp Exchange Forum. It really is a new family of friends to me.

Tom

8. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

We
    welcome to the forum Tom, i look forward to a new persons imput, and yes it can be very exciting, every time i get a stamp i do not already own i get a real buzz while i log it and place in to whatever album has been waiting for it lol.

as a newbie to the scene i am sure you will have plenty of them moments to start with

if you want to send me your address in conversation, i will send you a pack of mixed stamps to help you on you on your way

Steve

9. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,

I just bought a lot of stamps from ebay 1,500 of them and boy thats a lot of stamps. But I have gotten them sorted by country, (14 hours later) and I know I have a lot of duplicates to share to those who need them. I am just slow and a little eye strain today. We'll keep in touch.

Your new friend Tom

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  10. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

Tom, give us an idea of what you already have and some of us can send you some of our duplicates. I have plenty of US sitting here free to any new collector

steve logan likes this.
  11. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

1,500 mmm nice number, i can still remember (4 years ago) when i paid a little fortune but recieved 250,000 half of them are still on paper and i have not touched them yet lol and the ones off paper i am still sorting now, had so many it was easier to sort by the alphabet first :)

i will put some stuff in an envelope for you, if you do get duplicates you will be able to use them as trading stock

Steve

12. Darrin

Darrin Active Member

Tom, there is still a stamp club here in Grand Rapids called the Kent Philatelic Society. I was attending their meetings for a while and then my work and kid's sports schedules interrupted and I fell out of the habit. They meet monthly and there are usually always members who have something to sell and they sometimes have an auction. They were meeting at the Kentwood Public Library south of Grand Rapids. I emailed one of my Facebook friends to get more information for you.​

13. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Thanks Darrin

14. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Steve,
    250,000 boy my wife would divorce me for sure. But what I have will keep me busy for a while till I get more.

15. Darrin

Darrin Active Member

Tom, this is from Ron, a past president of the club. "We meet on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month. Except in December we only have the Christmas potluck (yesterday). We meet at 6:30 pm at the Lutheran home on 32nd Street just east of Kalamazoo . The 3rd set of buildings east on the basement floor." These directions are here in Grand Rapids. The KPS also has either one or two stamps shows/dealer sales every year. As I said, I have been out of touch with them for a couple of years now so I don't know if they still happen but one of they used to be on the Aquinas College campus.

16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Welcome Tom! Have fun and there is lots of helpful people here! ~Jay

17. David Logan

David Logan Member

Anybody Able to help?
    Have just started to collect stamps again after arounf a 20 year break. Any ideas as where to where to begin again.
    Regards
    Dave

18. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Hi and welcome,

You can start by reading though the post s on this site,
    Go to you local library and read up in some stampcollecting books.
    Join a stamp club in your area.
    Surfing the web on stamp collecting should occupy you for the next 2 hours to make the choice if you really want to start again.

19. Darrin

Darrin Active Member

The link below takes you to a list of stamp shows/bourses taking place in Michigan and the region. Hope this helps. I am not sure how up-to-date this is because it does not say which year the shows are taking place in but at least it give you an idea of what to search for. Many of these shows are repeat annual events.

http://pspsociety.org/id4.html

Note Kent Philatelic Society's meeting location on this website is dated. Please see my above response for the current location of the meeting.

20. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

1st, welcome to the forum and back to the hobby! I'd start with what made you start collecting in the beginning, and then let your collecting spread with what you learn from what you've missed in the last 20 years. Show some of your collection off...we'd love to see it:D

Draft saved Draft deleted