New Member Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Michael Pratt, Jan 12, 2020 at 2:05 PM.

1. Michael Pratt

Michael Pratt New Member

The NYC world stamp show in 2016 rekindled my childhood interest in stamp collecting.
    Since then, I have been collecting (it's hard to focus):

US mint sheets
    Unused US postal stationary, US postcards, and fancy cancels
    FDCs and FFCs serviced by the early stamp dealers
    Correspondence, ephemera, and catalogs of the early stamp dealers
    Early stamp dealers from New York, 116 Nassau Street, and Newark, NJ
    Pre-1900 stamp dealer covers
    *Particular interest in FDCs, FFCs,event covers, rate covers, postal history of Henry Hammelman and Fred & Egon Bernet.
    *Particular interest in FFCs by Roesler, Worden, Citret, August, Halvorsen, Ward, Colman, Dunkhorst, Siebold, Seaver...etc.

Things that particularly excite me--finding the first cover catalogs ever issued by a stamp dealer; pre-1930, unusual FDCs and FFCs by the early servicers; early FFC covers; anything by Henry Hammelman or Fred/Egon Bernet that I don't already have!

I am excited to see that there are members here that share some of the same interests.
    My interest in Henry Hammelman and cover collecting in general was taken to the next level by an outstanding article online about Henry Hammelman written by one of your forum members.

DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Welcome to StampExchange <MICHAEL>. You are clearly a victim of the Kid-In-A-Candy-Store Syndrome of which many of our members are afflicted! I've been collecting Nassau Street dealer covers since I got back into the hobby in 2015.

DonSellos likes this.
  3. Michael Pratt

Michael Pratt New Member

Do you happen to know if there is a list of dealers by year and room number at 116 Nassau Street? Every month or so, I discover yet another dealer I hadn't encountered before--it seems.

Molokai likes this.
  4. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Hi Michael:

Welcome to the Exchange and yes, there is a list of Nassau Street dealers complied by the American Stamp Dealers Association. Molokai, perhaps, can provide a copy for you. He gave mine to me, which I have since misplaced. The listing is a good start for collecting Nassau Street dealers, but it is not all inclusive and the dealers residency at a given address is not dated.

There is a Stamp Dealers thread below in the U.S. stamps forum. I hope you will post some of your covers and ephemera soon and/or add your insights on the covers already posted.

Don

Molokai likes this.
  5. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

I do not know of such a list. I am compiling my own list - of Nassau Street dealers from the 1920s-1950s. I have used various sources including runs of Stamp Magazine I have for some of those years. 116 was certainly Mecca for a long time! I can tell you there are *many* NS dealers for whom I do not have covers. I have about 200 covers but quite a few duplicates. <DON> probably has more!

I have been in contact with the New York Public Library and they have given me some links to run down. Ultimately, I think it will require a trip to NYC to copy the appropriate business pages from the telephone books. Apparently they have only been digitized up to 1910 or so...I envision a large wall map of Nassau Street with small numbers and a legend matching dealers to numbers. I suppose 116 would be a separate map or drawing.

I think this is the list of which <DON> speaks. You can Zoom and see the information better. For some reason my SnagIt tool is not working properly of late...There is a better copy already posted I think either on my Blog thread or the Stamp Dealer thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020 at 1:12 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted