New Member here with Stamp/Postmark Question

Discussion in 'What's it Worth?' started by Kathy D, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Kathy D

Kathy D New Member

Let me preface my question(s) with a slight explanation: I was posting about this on Coin Talk, and one of the members suggested I ask this question on this site, so here goes.....

I have 1976 2 Dollar Bill with a 13 cent Bicentennial stamp, postmarked on July 4th 1976 / Independence, WV (July 4th 1976 was a Sunday) however the Postmaster at the time did this for just a few of his friends and close family.)

To explain a little further....In 1976, our Dad was still the postmaster in Albright, WV. (However the town was all but destroyed in the flood of '85)
    Mr. Engle was the postmaster for another small town in the same county (Independence, WV). Mr. Engle was a good friend of the family.

I as cleaning out some boxes last week...and found them almost as pristine as the day given.

I also have two envelopes with July 4th, 1976 Post marks. (will attach pictures) I was just curious to know if there is any collectible value to these other than sentimental memories? Thank you in advance! :)

upload_2018-4-15_8-22-20.png
    upload_2018-4-15_8-23-4.png

upload_2018-4-15_8-24-40.png
    upload_2018-4-15_8-25-54.png

Frugal60 likes this.
  2. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

I´m afraid,you guessed it correctly: apart from the value of
    sentimental memories,there is no commercial value exceeding
    $ 2.-.But you never know,maybe somebody else might share
    those memories and might be willing to pay for them.
    The two letter are practically worthless:
    stained stamps on the upper one,a badly damaged stamp
    on the lower one.

3. Kathy D

Kathy D New Member

I figured...but thanks so much for answering!!

4. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

I think the postmarked $2 bills are enough of a novelty that they would fetch a bit more than $2...

5. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Kathy D and Molokai like this.
  6. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

'So I see' said the philatelically blind man! I was thinking they might fetch $10-$20 but probably should have checked, first. Another reason I am not part of the Brain Trust. :dead:

7. Kathy D

Kathy D New Member

Thanks! I was curious to see if they had any monetary worth, but not at all worried if not. I have a friend who is interested in the set for their "Historic" value, so sounds like the perfect "gift" to me! :)

8. Frugal60

Frugal60 Liberty America Has Earned Rightfully !

Kathy, as you can see with the numerous replies, it's really more of novelty items when you combine money with stamps and stamp marks. Because your $2 dollar bills are stamped with the "Independence WV" ... you can be sure they're worth $20-50 each... .YES, each ! Most of the date-stamped bills are of the post offices in their local towns; however, some USPS Post Offices used the Independence WV stamp as that's the correct one to use. You need to know that when a monetary item gets stamped or dated, that's when the item loses it's monetary value and then it becomes more of a relic or collector's item, no longer a Numismatic value. I personally like the $2 dollar bills, either stamped or not. I suggest you post an eBay entry as "Buy" and not best offer NOR auction type... and that will show you how many people will look at your $2 dollar bills with envelopes and that will provide you the worth-level of the entire stock. It's what I use as a comparison to determine what items are worth. Good Luck and if your able to visit a coin-shop, take them with you and show them to dealers you have trust with.

Philactica likes this.
  9. GermanStamps2019

GermanStamps2019 New Member

you can sell it for $6-8 on ebay

Draft saved Draft deleted