New here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cappy, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Cappy

Cappy New Member

Hello everyone. I started my collection at age 10 when I got a stamp album for my birthday. I loved learning about the far away places the stamps came from, and I wondered if I would ever visit them. Then school, career, grad school, marriage, kids and then grandkids took my time. I find myself being drawn back to the hobby after many decades away. I still have my original album, and I have visited several of those far away places I learned about so long ago. I don't know a lot about stamps, but I enjoy collecting.

DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Hi, Cappy -

Your story is similar to mine. I just got back in the hobby about five years ago. Lotsa good threads on this site and some very knowledgeable members! You can use the Search Forums to poke around to find interests similar to yours.

Summer tends to be the slow season here; things usually pick up in September.

Also, you can IGNORE spammers.

Welcome!

DonSellos likes this.
  3. Cappy

Cappy New Member

Thank you for your welcome, Molokai. Regarding spammers, yes I am ignoring for sure! It's a shame they're on a site like this.

4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Cappy,
    Your story is familiar, I too loved imagining those far away places and gazing at those exotic looking stamps. I began as a worldwide collector. Once I saw the United States large banknote stamps I was smitten and began a United States stamp collection. I continued with worldwide stamps going through kiloware lots and I still have the album. Many of us discontinued collecting for a period of time as I did. In the early '90's I started up again in earnest. While as of late I have veered off to coins I still enjoy the stamp hobby and welcome your enthusiasm.

DonSellos likes this.
  5. Cappy

Cappy New Member

I agree, our stories are similar, although I've not gotten into coin collecting. Thank you for writing, Hochstrasse.

6. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Welcome, Cappy! It is always good to see a new member come on board. It sounds like you might be a world-wide collector. I hope you will post some of you favorite stamps.

Don

7. Cappy

Cappy New Member

Yes I started with world-wide and now collect that and US.

8. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Hi Cappy:

I did the reverse. Started with mint U.S. commems, but switched to ww, used several years ago. Now I collect the ww, plus covers and my latest interest, cinderellas.

Don

9. Cappy

Cappy New Member

I'm partial to commemoratives and stamps with religious topics and nurses, doctors, medical-related subjects, as my avatar indicates. :)

10. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the group.Hope you find something interesting here and look forward to your posts.
    Anglobob

11. Cappy

Cappy New Member

Thanks Anglobob.

12. Howard Gustav

Howard Gustav New Member

Hello! I am in a similar situation. That's cool.

Cappy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted