Need images of 1st-3rd issue revenue bisects

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by revenuecollector, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Since I've been dabbling in 1st-2nd issue bisects on documents, I've decided to put together a rudimentary revenue bisect "census", putting together as comprehensive photographic list as I can on the known examples. I've pulled as much as I can from the Philatelic Foundation archives, Stamp Auction Network, Siegel, Shreves, Kelleher, and Eric Jackson's auction archives, along with the material from my collection.

http://www.revenue-collector.com/bisects

If anyone owns examples that are not already shown, or has auction catalogs that show examples not on the above page, and wouldn't mind contributing images and information of what they have, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Dan

2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I for one don't own any bisects but like to see them! They can get quite costly too but you know that already~

3. West

West New Member

What is a bisect, Dan?

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

A stamp that is cut in half, normally from one corner to the opposite corner. it can happen if there is a shortage of stamps. it happend on the Channel islands during the German occupation. Genuine items will be found on covers canceled

5. West

West New Member

How does this effect their value?

6. Just a slight correction. While postal bisects may normally be diagonal, in this case, most of the early revenue bisects on record are horizontal or vertical. Another thing that distorts perception on this issue is that many of the postal bisects you see floating around eBay on small pieces are either philatelically created, or just outright fakes.

The diagonal bisect makes a more striking visual impression when combined with a well-centered postal cancel, hence it being the dominant presentation seen, but in the case of early revenue bisects, the majority are manuscript canceled and not tied via cancel, strictly on the stamp itself, and were created due to necessity in processing fiscal transactions, rather than for any philatelic effect. Therefore, the easiest/quickest method, tearing or cutting the stamp in half horizontally or vertically, is what is usually found.

-Dan

7. You cannot view a bisect as an extension of the original stamp. Think of it similar to a stamp that has been overprinted. The value or rarity of the overprinted issue is normally completely unrelated to that of the non-overprinted version.

A 10-cent denomination cut in half and used as a 5-cent stamp, is no longer the former.

As with any type of postal bisect, one needs to be wary of fakery. You want a complete document, if possible, and need to look for evidence of legitimacy (the manuscript cancel tying the stamp to the document, the handwriting and date of the cancel matching that of the document, the resulting bisect or combination with other stamps paying the correct tax on the transaction reflected in the document).

-Dan

8. West

West New Member

It would appear that the post office would have been better off franking envelopes, than bisecting stamps then. I am right in my understanding of franking; yes?

Draft saved Draft deleted