Neat Old Finds

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by Gunny, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Found this stamp in the worldwide mystery grab bag that I bought. I think I've narrowed it down to being a stamp from Victoria Australia in 1901. Over 100 years old and not in bad shape considering it's travels since then.

1901 Victoria Austalia.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    BettyBoop and DonSellos like this.
  2. Gunny

Another one found is this Austrian stamp from 1908 (Scott #115).

img955.jpg

3. Gunny

Last find for today was this stamp pair from South Africa in 1927. During this time period, South Africa issued their stamps in pairs. One stamp lists the country as "South Africa" while the other stamp lists the country as "Suid Afrika".

img956.jpg

4. Those are indeed great historical and exciting finds ! Thank you for sharing as it is this kind of news that "perhaps" will get more young people and others into our fantastic hobby ! Try to post this on all other media also. You never know...there may be another FDR collector..out there !

DonSellos and Gunny like this.
  5. Gunny

I should mention that none of the above are worth much money. I simply love history and when I find an old stamp, I check out the history of the country, event or person being depicted. Besides, I'm retired and this keeps me occupied.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    DonSellos and Michael Javick like this.
  7. You are correct Gunny. I like you am very interested in history. Btw, i am retired US Army. I fed the troops on the Korean DMZ !

Gunny and DonSellos like this.
  8. Gunny

I myself am retired Marine (1978-1998). Then became a civilian employee of the Marine Corps and retired for a second time in 2017.

DonSellos likes this.
  9. Gunny

Just found this stamp from the Netherlands, issued in 1876. Oldest one I've found so far in this mystery bag.

img959.jpg

DonSellos and BettyBoop like this.
  10. Gunny

Found this War Charity Stamp issued by Hungary in 1918 to help assist the victims of WWI. The original stamp, without overprint, was issued in 1916. Koztarsasag translates to "Republic".

1918 War Charity Stamp.jpg

BettyBoop likes this.
  11. BettyBoop

BettyBoop Member

Gunny, great finds. It looks as though you have the correct year for the Victoria stamp. Attached is a Victorian one from 1857. Australian states all issued their own stamps until Federation in 1901. Australian stamps as a country weren't issued until 1913 (the Kangaroos), and the states' stamps could be used up until then.
    IMG_0001 (2).jpg I am most interested in your Hungarian War Charity stamp, as I also collect WWl stamps.

Gunny likes this.
  12. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

The hungarian stamp is no war charity stamp,but a regular (defintive)
    one,issued also in 1918.
    Like all other issues of the different republics from 1918-1920 they are
    rather rare in genuinely used condition.

DonSellos likes this.
  13. Gunny

14. Werner Salentin

Gunny,
    you missread stampworld.You have to scroll down to no.256 to
    find your stamp.
    Regards
    Werner

15. Gunny

At the top of the page, it states, "Now showing: Hungary - Postage stamps - 1918 - War Charity Stamps - Reaper and Parliament Stamps Overprinted - 13 stamps". One of those 13 stamps is #256. Should I read this as the original War Charity Stamps were used with an overprint when Hungary became a Republic?

It is confusing. This site, https://aalmeyer.com/The Great War 3.html states that the 1916 definitives were the War Charity Stamps. Does that mean, that in 1918 when Hungary became a Republic and issued these overprinted stamps, they were no longer War Charity Stamps?

Guess I did read the Stamp World site wrong.

16. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

I think the two links you posted above are misleading. While they do, indeed, imply that Hungary issued Charity Stamps during WW I, those pictured, especially in the second site are not listed in Scott.

The stamp in question, the 6 filler, blue/green overprinted diagonally Koztarsasag (republic) is Sc 157, from the first issue of the Republic, 1918-1919. Scott does not list any of the Hungarian charity stamps. Scott is not infallible, but it considers the first overprinted issue of the republic as regular postage stamps.

Don

Gunny likes this.
  17. Werner Salentin

Gunny,
    I have to apologize: you were absolutely correct about the headings
    in the stampworld catalogue !
    The problem is,that those headings are incorrect.

The war charities,overprinted on the 1916/17 series are
    stampworld 248-50 / Michel 219-21 / Scott B58-60,

followed by an Express Stamp SW 251 / Michel 222 / Scott E2.

Then follow two sets of regulars:
    SW 252-64 / Michel 223-5 / Scott 153-67 (Scott leaves out numbers)
    and
    SW 265-70 / Michel 236-41 / Scott 168-73

So the only war-charities are SW 248-50,(as the surcharge indicates).

Werner

DonSellos likes this.
  18. Hey fellas, please report this information to the Scott catalog publishers !

19. Gunny

No problem. I've learned something new about stamps from Hungary. My problem is that I keep trying to identify non-U.S. stamps via the internet as I don't have any of the Scott volumes. I have now ordered a 2015 copy of all of the volumes so will stop trying to use the internet to identify stamps from countries that I am not familiar with.

Draft saved Draft deleted