Mystery Chile Stamp

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by Gunny, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

So, I bought pages from an old collection and have had fun sorting through them. I then came across this stamp that is not listed in Scott. It is a 4 Centavo stamp. The only 4 centavo stamps issued by Chile, up until 1960, were in: 1912-1913; 1915-1925; 1918-1920 & 1923. All of these 4c stamps were colored Brown, and none of them had this design. This design was used in 1911, 1915-1923 & 1928-1931, but this design had no 4c denomination stamps issued. It was only used for Peso denominated stamps. This stamp does not have a watermark. Of note, this stamp is imperforate. This stamp is also on really stiff paper. The only Chile stamps that I am aware of that were issued imperforate were the Colon head issued between 1853 - 1865. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that maybe this is an Essay or Proof. However, I've never seen an Essay or Proof that was used for postage.

img030.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    BettyBoop and DonSellos like this.
  2. Gunny

I've emailed the Latin America dealer that I've been working with to see what he thinks. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

3. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

DonSellos likes this.
  4. Gunny

Awesome work. That definitely looks to be the solution. That thought never occurred to me. Thanks.

5. Ed Gayhart

Ed Gayhart New Member

Maybe the corner of a postcard?

6. Gunny

Close, in post #3 above, Hochstrasse found that it was the corner of a stamped envelope.

Draft saved Draft deleted