My One-Per-Day Set

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Gunny, Aug 16, 2014.

1. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Oh right, that's a possibility. :)

2. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Nice idea... I have a few stamps sorted out that have full (or almost full) postmarks as I know a couple of people that used to collect them... will look at dates and make a 'calendar' spreadsheet. Will post dates/pics and if you care to trade, will let you have your pick of the lot.

To add to the other post: do you collect only used Airmail?

3. SATX Collector

Just did an Advanced Google Search and only came up with Auki, Solomon Islands which you probably already found. I like a good 'mystery'... will keep thinking about it.

Any intelligence on the left lower corner marks? WI could also be West Indies... any historical possibility there?

4. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Can't make out the letters on the bottom left of the stamp. I think Milwaukee is a good bet. Were the West Indies using U.S. Postage stamps in 1863?

5. Gunny

Don't only collect used Air Mail. I'm collecting all BoB stamps, used or unused. As long as it is well centered, and the cancellation doesn't obliterate the face of the stamp, I'm happy.

I'll go through what I have to see if I have any duplicates. Off the top of my head, I don't think that I do.

6. SATX Collector

Not sure... knew there was sugar plantations and rum trade but don't know about postage... just a guess.

7. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

It could possibly be AukLand NZ?

8. SATX Collector

Another WI is Windward Islands...

9. SATX Collector

Looked at the stamp again... Using the MILWAUKI hypothesis, the lower left characters look like the bottom part of the 'M' and 'I'... at the 9-o'clock position, you can imagine the very bottom of the 'L'.

Have you found any info on the different spelling of the city name during that period?

10. SATX Collector

A further note... looked up the Wikipedia story and, under history, I find the following...

Early explorers called the Milwaukee River and surrounding lands various names: Melleorki, Milwacky, Mahn-a-waukie, Milwarck, and Milwaucki. For many years, printed records gave the name as "Milwaukie". One story of Milwaukee's name says,

So that may be the definitive answer...

11. Gunny

1225 11a Washington 3C.jpg Figure I should post the stamp that started this collection. It was cancelled on Dec 25th, Xmas Day. I figured that that might be the hardest date to get, and since I already had it, I might try to see how many different dates that I could get. It is a Scott 11a.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  12. SATX Collector

NICE stamp... I have a couple of the '11' design but I think they are the #25 version. That far back I have put away in folders... need to get them out one day and put them in the new albums I have.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  13. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Gunny, I've seen a few stamps postmarked on Christmas in various publications, but never in real life. If I ever see one at a show I'll be sure to pick up on it because it has to be unusual and scarce.

14. Gunny

I'll keep my eye out at the local shows that I go to and during my perusing of different websites. If I see one, I'll grab it for ya.

15. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I think it is really a good thing that it was postmarked on Christmas day. Nice looking stamp. :)

16. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Gunny that's very nice of you. If that be the case I would surely send you something in return.

17. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Hello Gunny,
    Do they have to be American, or do you collect them from other countries as well?
    (I can search what I have for you, and send them)
    Elizabeth

18. Gunny

Appreciate the offer, but I'm only doing a collection of U.S. stamps. That might change if when I get down to only needing a few. It's pretty easy now since I only have about 20 stamps. It's going to get tougher at some point.

19. Gunny

Added four new ones to the collection. Three of the four a blue ink cancelled.

First up is a Scott 11a dated July 30th.

0730 11a 3C.jpg
    [​IMG]

Then we have a Scott 10a dated August 22nd cancelled somewhere in Maine.

0822 10a 3C.jpg
    [​IMG]

Next is a Scott 11a dated October 12th.

1012 11a 3C.jpg
    [​IMG]

And lastly, a Scott 11 dated October 17th.

1017 11 3C.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Hochstrasse and SATX Collector like this.
  20. SATX Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted