my latest project

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by sd tom, Dec 1, 2016.

1. sd tom

sd tom New Member

Lately I've been working on a project for some of the used stamps I have. I picked up a very basic Patriot album and am reliving my childhood, when I started at 8, and creating a US album of used definitive and commemorative. Since this album is not complete I might have a chance at filling it! The requirement I set up is only used so I might ask for used ones from time to time. It has forced me to do some badly needed housecleaning.

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

SD:

A fun project for sure. I did a similar thing a few years back. Instead of using a published album, I printed my own for commemorative stamps from the 1950s. Like you, I only collected postally used stamps. Not difficult to do for that period. Post Offices still received every commemorative issued and clerks stocked them and sold them, and people used them on their outgoing mail. I was not a collector in the 1950s, but I chose that decade because I was a teenager then and it was a happy time in my life. Everything seemed possible. In retrospect, it was also, in my opinion, the last decade when personal mail was still important to people and, consequently, stamps were also important and useful.

I just got out the album with those pages in it and found that I lack one stamp for completeness -- the 4c Ephraim McDowell, issue December 3, 1959. I'll have to scrounge around, surely I have a used copy of that somewhere.

Don

3. sd tom

sd tom New Member

The housecleaning made me ponder what to do with the large abundance of common duplicates. I'm really not doing anyone a favor by making available common definitive stamps. I start a basic class up in January for 10-12 year old and I reserve the commemoratives for them along with some nice donations from other stamp club members. I think they belong in the trash as they have no real value and places like Goodwill really don't know what to do with them.

I agree with you Don that the 50's were filled with letter writing. Postcards were a popular item! The Patriot album wasw obtained without stamps for 25c at a local thrift store with out stamps. Your idea of making the pages is a daunting task since all of the mint stamps are in albums with Scott mounts.

It has turned out to be n enforced way of cleaning out the mess.

RedVelvetCupcake2009 likes this.
  4. sd tom

sd tom New Member

My saga continues a little more. I got some protector pages and will put them in a binder. At the same time I started some graph pages and am putting the stamps not in the binder on these pages. I'm still working on this project as I have so many used stamps to go through.

RedVelvetCupcake2009 likes this.
  5. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

SD:

Are you mounting them randomly or in Sc # order? Hinged? Hinges are really the only inexpensive way to mount minimum-value dups.

Don

6. sd tom

sd tom New Member

The book doesn't include spaces for all of them so there is a 4c page etc. Since this project has no value a hinge is the best way. My total cost for this project will be $10.00 including album, binder, protective pages, and graph pages but many many fun hours of time putting it together. When I complete a page I'll post it.

Makanudo likes this.
  7. Makanudo

Makanudo Moderator Moderator

Sounds like a lot of fun Tom!

8. sd tom

sd tom New Member

It really is and while some of us worry about $100 stamps these cost pennies and condition or cancellation are not a concern. It really brings back memories.

Gunny and Makanudo like this.
  9. How are you doing with your project now? I guess the project is sort of like a childhood biography with pictures, you could say. If you would like to upload it someday, I'm sure we would all love to see it. Keep up the good work. Stamp collecting isn't always easy.

10. joegirl

joegirl New Member

A project I'm thinking of embarking on is hiring a graphics illustrator to capture my stamp collection into an image. I can then transfer this image into a shirt, mugs and other item I want.

Philactica and FitzjamesHorse like this.
  11. Maybe you could sell them. I have been doing freelance work online, and I always hear of people hiring others for design. Maybe your design could be on their shirt or whatever they want to use. Of course, that is your choice. I just think that it's a cool idea. Good luck with your design!

joegirl likes this.
  12. joegirl

joegirl New Member

Yes! I am looking to selling some T-shirt on Teespring. So yah, maybe Im on to something here :)

13. Takis Kalogerakos

Takis Kalogerakos Active Member

14. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Hi 'New Member' Joegirl,
    Perhaps under the stamp's image, your T-shirt could read:
    "HELP STAMP OUT BOREDOM
    WITH SOCIAL-MEDIA...COLLECT"
    Best of Luck & Welcome to the group,
    Harry

Philactica likes this.
  15. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello Joegirl, T-shirt printing is quite simple, there are a number of tutorials on youtube worth watching. I have printed (inkjet) photographs (reversed) then transferred them to T-shirts.

Search youtube for "tee shirt printing techniques"

Regards, James.

16. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse Active Member

I want a Tshirt that says "Philately Will Get You Anywhere".

James-2489 likes this.
  17. pistol

pistol Member

Hi, Sd Tom, this is a nice and interesting project. You should check your old collection and try to fill it. I have two stamp collection, one is filled up, one is not, maybe I should act as you and complete my collection.
    Good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted