My first Post

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jerry Achtor, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Jerry Achtor

Jerry Achtor New Member

Hello all,
    I'm new to this site and looking forward to some interesting discussions and perhaps assistance on selling a large stamp collection I inherited from my father. I'm not naive about stamps, but I haven't been into it for a number of years, so hopefully this site will help me catch up.

Regards,
    Jerry

kacyds likes this.
  2. swish513

swish513 Active Member

welcome to the forum!

3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Welcome aboard!

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Jerry welcome to the forum, whats your collecting intrests?

5. Zach24

Zach24 Member

Welcome to the SE Jerry, great to have you!!!

6. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Came across this site on Facebook. Looks like this will be a very exciting forum. Have been looking for a forum about stamps for some time now. I collect mostly US stamps, Airmail Stamps, Plate Blocks of US Airmail, Early covers with New Orleans cancels or any city in Lousiana with cancels, Canal Zone, Confederate stamps, Hawaii, Cut squares. Basically anything that deals with any US stamps. I do have a collection of World stamps too. Have been collecting for over 30 years. Just aquired a Scott# 1 our countries first stamp, I am so excited. Thanks and I look forward to this site.

ratio411 likes this.
  7. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

:) Welcome to the forum

8. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Jerry,

Sounds like we are in a similar circumstance.
    My father collected since he was a child, however, he didn't share it with me.
    When he knew he was going to pass, he started giving me a 'crash course' in stamp collecting.
    I didn't get nearly enough on it though. He passed without life insurance, and my mother and I
    knew he had spent a large sum of money on stamps over the years, so we tried to sell the stuff.

Long story, short: Stamp collecting interest is at an all time low, Dad bought way too high, and
    the recession all ganged up on us and made his collection far more valueable to us, as a family,
    than the amount dealers were offering. So, being a coin collector, and having the 'bug' to collect
    such items, I decided to keep his collection, grow it, and learn it.... and maybe I'll pass it along
    to my family one day... Let them worry with it! ;)

Sounds like you are at that stage where you are still on the fence.

Welcome, Hope you stick around.
    Dave

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Hi Jerry Welcome!!

10. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Welcome to the forum Jerry

Draft saved Draft deleted