my centennial 1876 exposition ticket

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Jay, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I picked this up earlier because I like old engraved tickets. Got it for a great price too. I believe it is probably from the centennial 1876 exposition. Continental Banknote co. done the engraving for the reverse anyway, not sure about the obverse though? I see on the bottom now, it says Continental banknote Company.

Obverse:
    [​IMG]

Reverse:
    [​IMG]

http://www.nga.gov/resources/expo1876.shtm

Here is a neat one. click on any building on the exhibition map to see it full scale in all her beauty!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Exposition

http://www.150.si.edu/chap4/four.htm

2. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Where did that take place, Jay? Looks awesome.

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

In Philadelphia on the 100Th anniversary of the USA. 1776-1876 I posted links underneath the images. I grabbed this up as it will be a good fit into my Chicago 1892-1893 Columbian Exposition tickets and ephemera collection. I'm happy with it. I'm also bidding on a William Harrison inaugural ball ticket.

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

What a wonderful addition :)

5. West

West New Member

It is super, how will you display it?

Tom D likes this.
  6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

In a Vario page that has a 4-way divide along with my Columbian tickets West.

7. West

West New Member

Have you a photo?

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I do indeed! I'll scan a Vario 4 way divide sheet in it's entirety so you can see what they look like West.

I usually crop out the holes and bottom so it looks neat and uniform.

[​IMG]

Tom D likes this.
  9. Equinox

Equinox Member

FOUR..FOUR...FOURR HUNDERED AND FIFTY DOLLARS!!! Wow :p
    Very nice display!

10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

That is the estimated value friend not the price...lol

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

And west you can get these in 5,6,7 & 8 horizontal divide (regular stockbook pages) and the "1 way" division for your maxi cards and souvenir sheets and the like and even in 2 different background colours eg. Black (like shown above) or clear. Also they come in some different designs (albeit all similar but mostly has to do with the type of binder or system you use). I'll scan a 1,2,4 way divides and you have seen the 5,6,7 & 8 way via my scans all over this board. OK, I'll get too it now! I should mention that this is NOT a plug and have absolutely NO affiliation with Vario or Lighthouse (distributor) in any way shape or form other than a customer. Just so we are clear on that...haha!!

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Tom D likes this.
  13. West

West New Member

The presentation is excellent Jay. Are the black backed cards expensive? I am guessing they then go in an A4 ring binder, is that the idea?

14. Equinox

Equinox Member

Love this presentation, I think I will do the same as this as currently my "album" is just a folder with card in poly pockets separated into years and stamps on rails inside, very badly presented and difficult to see anything/everything!

15. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

No not expensive at all for what the are. They are not junk and are made of mylar which is I believe archival.

Equinox I exclusively use Vario sheets as I find the standard album straps you in to a certain collecting method and I also think the black sets off the stamps a bit better.

16. Steve Robinson

There is also another company on ebay that does something similar again archival quality, I will have to dig out the name for you

17. Equinox

Equinox Member

18. Steve Robinson

19. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for thinking of me however I already own both of them (1892 & 1893).

20. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Got me another ticket!
    1876 Centennial Exposition "Package" Ticket
    Obverse:

[​IMG]

Reverse:

[​IMG]

and a Large Banknote-

U.S. scott #190

[​IMG]

Steve Robinson and Tom D like this.