My British Commonwealth Project

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Harry Golightly, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Hello, One & All,
    Thought it was time to share this, to those that might be interested.
    As most of you know QE-II was crowned Queen in 1953. The British Commonwealth
    countries/protectorates wasted no time in commemorating this event by adding their design(s) to her Omnibus set.
    For the last 20+ years I have been adding at least 1 complete representative BCW set for each of these countries. All sets are complete & MNH only, but not necessarily
    sets of QE-II. Many countries are represented w/ sets of her father, Geo-VI and/or
    her gramps, Geo-V.
    I am now finishing the 'collection' by adding a representative set from each of the 11
    Malaysian States. e.g. Kelantan, Johore, Kedah, Malacca, Negri Sembilan, Pahang, Perlis, Penhang, Perak, Trengganu & Selangor. (The other 2, Sabah & Sarawak have long been completed & I have them in a separate book).
    Can't help but wonder exactly what I'm going to do 'collecting-wise' when all the Omnibus countries are represented!
    Maybe, a completed set of all Puffin Island issues?
    Having fun at 74,
    HG²
    "I bought some powdered water, but I don’t know what to add."
    S. Wright

DonSellos and Gunny like this.
  2. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

Best Answer
    That,s what I thought....:cat:
    Trying to get postally used would be a nice challenge.........
    Bob

3. anglobob

Harry....why not go for used sets ????:cat::cat:
    Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  4. Harry Golightly

Thanks Bob,
    Although I still have a handful of countries to finish my 'Omnibus-QE-II-Omnibus Collection', I shall give this some consideration as I'm pretty much open to all things philatelic.
    Upon re-reading my primary 'screed', I left out one thing. [ I do not collect any BCW sets after 1970. Using the SG catalogues w/ only stamps issued years 1840-1970 has really come in handy.]
    Oh, & Thanks to all who gave me 'Likes'
    Tally-Ho,
    H

5. anglobob

Harry....just read your post again and am confused...:borg::borg:
    Which omnibus set are you collecting ? Up to 1970,there are at least 13 different omnibus issues,including the 1953 Coronation issue.Is that the set you are concentrating on ?
    Back in England I saw lots of mint sets but very few postally used sets.
    I am just collecting the first definitive sets from each colony,and only those showing images of Queen Elizabeth.
    Bob

6. Harry Golightly

Greetings Bob,
    Sorry, I can see where I should have been more succinct. The set I used is the QE-II 1953 Omnibus Coronation set. Most countries issued stamps w/ just her portrait, the country's name at the bottom and the denomination atop on either sides. There were a handful of countries who opted for a different coronation design and some of these had more than one stamp in their sets. (All, however were issued in 1953) I have included those countries as part of my collected country perimeters, as well. Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Harry

7. anglobob

Best Answer
    That,s what I thought....:cat:
    Trying to get postally used would be a nice challenge.........
    Bob

8. Harry Golightly

Bob,
    I like you idea of collecting the 1st QE-II definitive sets issued directly after her coronation. The problem I had was that there were so many really beautiful
    Geo-VI & Geo-V sets that I ended up 'having to have'...You know, that hard-biting old collecting bug!
    HG

Draft saved Draft deleted