Featured Musical Instruments on Stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, May 25, 2020.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

I thought I would start a Musical Instruments on Stamps thread. Perhaps we can build an orchestra!

My favorite instruments are the viola, English horn and French horn. Current favorite depends on which one I’ve last heard. :) I played drums from 4th-12th grade and while I got fairly good at it, I always wanted to play a melodic instrument. I quit in 12th grade when a kid beat me out for 1st chair which I had held since 8th grade. I took German instead which came in handy for me. I did purchase an Alto Sax in high school, taught myself a little…but without guided instruction I didn’t get very far.

Of course, to play any instrument at the professional level is exceedingly difficult and requires a natural talent. That said, my impression is the French Horn is perhaps the most difficult to play well. I am open to other opinions!

ViolaStamp.jpg

EnglishHornStamp.jpg

Franch HornStamp.jpg

2. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

Wikipedia had to help me with the English Horn.
    French Horn,Wald-Horn in German,is more familiar.
    For the Klavi(a)chord,(below),again Wikipedia had to help.
    To me an amazing instrument.
    I D 228.jpg
    issued Jan.27th,1956

BettyBoop, DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  3. Molokai

Concur! A beautiful instrument with many moods.

The Cello is right up there towards the top for me. So many great cellists! My fav would be Gregor Piatigorsky tho I love watching Yo-Yo Ma.

I tried to find a Bass Clarinet on a stamp...no luck.

CelloStamp.jpg

4. Werner Salentin

Could not find anything about this instrument:
    I Japan 648.jpg
    The glas-flute
    I Japan 648A.jpg
    stamp issued Nov.1st,1955

BettyBoop, DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  5. Molokai

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    BettyBoop likes this.
  6. Werner Salentin

I D 2991.jpg
    issued March 1st,2013

Could well be a stamp to commemorate the phrase for actors to train the correct pronunciation of the german "sch" !
    "Schabe Dein Cello schäbiger Schuft !"
    (The C in Cello is pronouced in German like sch in the other words.)

Molokai, BettyBoop and DonSellos like this.
  7. Molokai

Timpani. A difficult instrument to master but figures heavily in classical music.

Timpani.jpg

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  8. BettyBoop

BettyBoop Member

IMG_0001.jpg
    Hi again, on going through my "art" collection, I discovered these two - "Self-portrait as Lute Player" by Jan Steen, and "The Guitar Player" by Vermeer, issued in 1967.
    Sharjah is one of the Trucial States on the Persian Gulf, and in 1971 joined with others to form the UAR. It produces generally not well-printed stamps with nothing to do with the country, just for mad collectors.

9. Molokai

Closest I can find for Bassoon on a stamp. The largest of the double-reeds save for the contrabassoon. I remember the bassoon as Grandfather in Peter and the Wolf.

Shostakovitch scored some of his symphonies of multiple bassoons. His 13th (my favorite) has three bassoons one of which is a contra. He was in-and-out of trouble with the Soviet authorities much of his career; quite deep yogurt after his 4th symphony. His 5th was labelled “A Soviet Artist’s Response To Justified Criticism.” Maybe Stalin did not like the sound of the bassoon? :lock:

In other news and regards this image - I just read USPS has discontinued its custom stamps program...seemed like a great idea to me, but how many businesses use stamps in quantity these days? :(

Bassoon.jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  10. Werner Salentin

Instrumente Berlin 459.jpg
    issued Oct.5th,1973
    20 Pfg. hurdy-gurdy
    30 Pfg, drum
    40 Pfg. lute
    70 Pfg. organ

Molokai likes this.
  11. Molokai

The trombone. Usually associated with Swing and Jazz, it often is scored for symphonic/classical music.

Ttombone.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  12. Molokai

The flugelhorn is truly a betwixt-and-between instrument. Of course, there are dozens of varieties of brass instruments. The flugelhorn is said to be – in both size and sound – between the trumpet and the French horn. Musically, it is sometimes a jazz instrument and sometimes a symphonic instrument. It is the brass viola between the violin and cello. To my ears it has a very nice sound.

Pictured is a very old-style flugelhorn. The standard Bb looks like the second image.

FlugelhornStamp.jpg

BbFlugelhorn.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  13. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Here's the only two that I have.

1372 WC Handy Father of the Blues 6C.jpg 1614 Marching Music 7.7C.jpg

Molokai and Werner Salentin like this.
  14. Werner Salentin

I did not know the word trombone.In German it is "Posaune".
    I often walked by passing a house with a plaque: "Posaunenwerk der
    Evangelischen Kirche"."Posaunenwerk" sounded very strange to me,
    because if translated wordly,it is "Trombones Factory of the Protestant
    Church".
    However meant is the central organisation,founded in 1894,renamed to Trombone "Choruses" in 1994 of the Lutheran Churches in Germany.
    There are about 7000 "choruses with more than 100.000 wind-players.
    Here the stamp,commemorating the "Posaunen Chöre",issued
    March 1st,2014:
    Bund 1.3.14.jpg
    A rather colourfull,but "flat" design,"nicely" enhanced by a first-day
    cancel.What at least,shows a trombone quite clearly.
    I think,but don´t know,that the idea of trombone choruses comes
    from the "fall of the walls of Jericho",told in the bible.

DonSellos, Molokai and Gunny like this.
  15. Molokai

Sousaphone. No marching band would be without several.

Interesting stamp...almost looks like a cindy...

Sousaphone.jpg

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  16. Molokai

The Clarinet. Backbone of the woodwind (‘single-reed’) instruments. Clarinets are used in just about all forms of music – swing, jazz, orchestral.

We are most familiar with the B-flat flavor, but there are quite a few others: D, A high-G and E-flat. Also the bass clarinet and – an instrument with a wonderful sound – the basset horn.

For beginners, some instruments – such as the strings – take months before he or she can get a decent sound out of them. But with the B-flat clarinet within weeks they can be playing Twinkle-Twinkle-Little-Star almost as well as Pete Fountain or Benny Goodman! (Not to say it is easy to play at the top levels, of course.)

ClarinetStamp.jpg

Gunny, DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  17. Werner Salentin

Instrumente Berlin 666.jpg
    Concert-Harp,issued April15th,1982;

DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  18. Molokai

Saxophone, perhaps ‘king of the woodwinds.’ Although made of brass, they have the oscillating reed as opposed to vibrating lips (brass instruments), classifying them as woodwind.

Typically, not used in orchestral music but very popular in bands and jazz. There are ten sizes of the saxophone, but the three most popular are soprano (looks like a brass clarinet although it also is made looking like a very small alto!), alto and tenor. To my ears the tenor has the most interesting sound, very throaty and sophisticated.

Many great players, of course, Boots Randolph is my favorite. His awesome Yakety-Sax was high up on the popular music charts early in the 1960s. You can see and hear him playing this piece on YouTube – he really gives it all he’s got!

SaxophoneStamp.jpg

Gunny, DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  19. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

And not to mention, everyone's favorite president of the last century, Bill Clinton!!!:D

Don

Draft saved Draft deleted