most collectabe stamps

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by micro, Oct 1, 2012.

1. micro

micro New Member

Does anyone know what stamps are most collectable? Is there a website that is the best reference for this subject. I been through many sites but they don't have the greatest info. Thanks!

2. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

I don't know if there's a website that lists "most collectable" stamps. I think I like the older stamps more than ones that were issued to be "collectable" but that's my preference. The best way to go about it, in my opinion, would be to make your own decision what you want to collect and not let anyone else make you second guess yourself.

I also happen to like being able to display my stamp collections in nice albums. So, when I'm planning a new addition, I'll start by seeing what albums are readily available, and you can do that with many different stamp dealer websites that offer albums, or even Ebay (I've got some nice albums really cheap on Ebay). Or, get a blank album and print out some pages to customize the collection to your tastes even more.

But, that's just how I approach it, but it makes sense to me to plan out the finished "product" when you start out.

3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I tried searching for most collectible stamps but only lead me to most valuable stamps. I think US stamps can be considered as one of the most collectible since I could easily find US stamps here. :D

I also prefer collecting older stamps and those that are used.
    I am more interested on stamps that feature events, nature and especially historical places or things.

4. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

No such category. Try re-framing the question: what are the most 'collected' stamps? And you'll still get muddled answers. Too many variables. In which country? What range of dates? What is the specific collector's interest? Topicals? Airmails? Revenues? Plate blocks?

Probably very few general, world-wide collectors anymore. Albums are hard to come by and to me are very limited in space available. United States are maybe the most collected (in the US), and someone from Germany will say German, Canada from Canadians, etc. I find most countries (current issues - including the US) are too liberal in their issuance policies and generate too many variants of some of the definitives. Or in the case of Canada, issuance of too many souvenir sheets.

But I still collect what I feel like collecting. There are more than a few countries in my Minkus world-wide albums that have no stamps contained therein.

5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Yes, Mr. Taylor has put it quite succinctly, there isn't really such a category. Popular areas of stamp collection might be a better question. Considerations are interest, budget, availability and purpose. What a person's objective is also ranks high in consideration. Is a person thinking of exhibiting, using stamps as investment or purely an exercise in leisure pursuing a hobby. Personally I collect U.S., Germany, China.

6. Don

Don New Member

Yet the Chinese are mad for Penny Blacks!

7. domaintalk

domaintalk Member

8. Don

Don New Member

It would help if you attached some values. I have no knowledge of the worth of American stamps, but I would be surprised if American stamp collectors only saved cheap stamps. The original message did not ask for value but I guess it is intrinsic, or am I wrong?
    Your comments would be interesting.

9. domaintalk

domaintalk Member

Don,
    All those stamps are of the top price.

Like for example Abraham Lincoln, 1867 is worth around $220k (unused), Shield Eagle and Flags is worth around $5-7k if its in mint condition and so. American stamp collectors is a wide market and as there is a lot of craze in collecting stamps there, these stamps are of a great value.

I hope that answered your question :)

10. Don

Don New Member

It did Dom and thanks. If one had the whole list then, quite a collection!

Draft saved Draft deleted