More Cinderellas from France

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, Nov 7, 2017.

1. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

Stamps of the Legion of French Volunteers,from 1941 and 1942.
    Although classed as cinderellas,they are listed in the Maury catalogue. OURS.jpg lvf.jpg lvf 2.jpg

2. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Very cool! I do like cinderellas. :)

3. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

Attractive stamps ! Although no postage stamps,but "contribution-
    stamps" they are found on field-post letters bearing german
    field-post cancellations.
    There are other issues for the "Flemish Legion",the "Wallonian
    Legion" and the "Danish Legion".All were military units,closely
    related to the SS. Member of all legions were die-hard Nazis.
    Many of them were trialed and sometimes excecuted by their
    home-countries after the war.
    All these issued are listed by Michel.

DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Great stuff Anglobob!

Cinderellas perhaps, but they certainly are more desirable than most.

5. anglobob

More cinderella stamps .The five stamps with a portrait of General Joffre were sold in a booklet of 20 stamps.The proceeds from this went towards a national monument for Joffre. Joffre.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  6. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Great page! What do you know about the bullseye cancels? They look like postal cancels. Were they favor cancels provided at the location of sale, or done at some later time?

Don

7. anglobob

These were not valid for postage so the cancels are not legitimate.However,they are very attractive and look genuine.Now and again , I find cinderella stamps which have cancellations but the majority are not postally used.

DonSellos likes this.
  8. anglobob

La Semaine de l,Absent

Towards the end of WW2,the French Resistance Council anounced that the week from Dec 24,1944 to Jan 1,1945 would be known as La Semaine de l,Absent...The week of the missing.
    This was to raise awareness of the fate of prisoners of war ,deportees and repatriated people.A poster was issued with symbolic features of barbed wire of the prison camps and the Cross of Lorraine for the French Resistance.
    I discovered this cinderella stamp....it is more like a mini sheet,measuring almost 6 by 3 inches. I do not know much more about this stamp but personally think it is a very attractive and impressive item in my collection. Image (43).jpg

Molokai and DonSellos like this.
  9. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Awesome. I especially appreciate the history lesson and backgrounder; an important component of stamp collecting IMHO. Cinderellas are a fascinating area. I purchased three bicycling cinderellas last week.

I told this story soon after I joined StampExchange - When I first took up stamp collecting after a 40+ year hiatus, I kept seeing the word 'cinderellas.' I initially thought it was a topical and was surprised there could be so many stamps featuring Cinderella!:joyful:

10. anglobob

Stamp Day and Feast of the Stamp...Journee du timbre and Fete du Timbre

Stamp Day was created in 1937 by the Federation of French Philatelic Societies.Each year ,a stamp or series of stamps was issued focusing on postal history.In 2000,it was renamed Feast of the Stamp and focused on attracting the younger generation by issuing stamps with such themes as comic book heroes and movies.
    There are many cinderella stamps issued by different philatelic groups and societies.These are two examples issued in Marseille in 1946 and 1947. Image (13).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  11. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

I find the 1946 stamp especially attractive. Is that Marianne again? The souvenir sheet format was all the rage in the 1930s and 1940s. Not so many seen these days.

Don

Draft saved Draft deleted