MOLOKAI’S BLOG

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Mar 6, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

A footnote to my posts above re: importing images to my album pages.

I emailed the designer and vendor of AlbumGen asking if I can import images to a page. He replied immediately that yes, it could be done and explained how to do it. The only difficulty is that I have to convert jpg images to bmp. There are multiple sites online that will do the conversion, it is just a little time consuming to get it done.

That said and done, sizing remains somewhat of a problem. I am not sure on how large the image should be in relation to the page heading. Here's a sample of one I did today. The heading size is 18 points which I have been using for all my pages. I don't want the image to be so large that it dwarfs the heading or substantially reduces space for page description. Any advice is appreciated:

Don

Belgium flag page.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Take a look at TechSmith's 'SnagIt' tool <DON>.

3. Molokai

As Chester A Riley used to say, "What a revoltin' development this is!"

I made the mistake of purchasing a small lot (18 stamps) of Hawaii. Probably the only ones I can afford! I love Hawaii. I went over foot-loose and fancy-free and came back a few years later with a wife, two kids and a dog! They were wonderful years but I long ago decided to not collect Hawaii because even a decent collection would cost a fortune. But, hey! I can read all about it:

STAMP COLLECTING BOOKS – Hawaii

Ashbrook – The Grinnel Hawaiian Missionary Stamps

Burt – Adhesive Revenue Stamps of Hawaii

Cahill – Hawaiian Stamps: An Illustrated History

Crocker – Hawaiian Numerals

Foster – A Check List of the Stamps of Hawaii (2 Volumes)

Giffard – Descriptive Catalogue of the Postage Stamps of Hawaii

Gregory – Hawaii Foreign Mails to 1870

Hogan – A History of the Stamps of Hawaii

Inklebarger – Hawaiian Town Postmarks 1859-1900

Kenyon – History of the Postal Issues of Hawaii

Lowes/Christie – The Postage Stamps of Hawaii (1975)

Luff/Howes/Richards – Postage Stamps and Stationary of the Hawaiian Islands

Meyer – Hawaii: Its Stamps and Postal History

Nettles – Hawaii

Pearson – The Grinnell Hawaiian Missionary Stamps

Pelander – Hawaii Towes Collection 1948 (Auction Catalog)

Postilion – Hawaii Its Stamps and Postal History

Richards – Additions to the Check List of the Stamps of Hawaii

Richards – Check List of the Stamps of Hawaii

Siegel – David Golden Collection of Hawaiian Stamps (Auction Catalog)

Siegel – Honolulu Advertiser Collection (3 Volumes, Auction Catalog)

Siegel – William H Gross Collection (Auction Catalog)

Siegel – Hawaii (#316, April 1967) (Auction Catalog)

Siegel – Keith Steiner Hawaiian Numerals (#1161) (Auction Catalog)

Siegel – US Covers & Hawaii Collections (#784) (Auction Catalog)

Sotheby – Isikawa Collection of the Postage Stamps of the Hawaiian Islands (Auction Catalog)

Westerberg – Plating the Hawaiian Numerals

As always, if you can add to my list please do!

(I don't search for auction catalogs, but when I see one for an area of interest - 1869, Banknotes, 2nd Bureau, N & Ps, Albania, Hawaii, Newfoundland, Russian Zemstvos, Tasmania - I add it on.)

DonSellos likes this.
  4. Molokai

Does anyone have these? -

cipexposter.PNG

(Chambers Stamp Journal - May 19, 1947)

DonSellos likes this.
  5. DonSellos

Molokai:

I don't have a set of them, but I do have one on cover. It is tied nicely to the cover with the postmark, but lacking an address, it is obviously a favor cancel done at the show's postal station. Nevertheless, I have placed it in my Cinderellas on Cover collection.

Don

aaa.jpg

anglobob likes this.
  6. Molokai

Happy Friday <DON>! Very attractive cover; you have quite a stash!

The seals are lovely, also, I guess I need to find a set for my shoe box.;)

Apparently several commemorative items issued for CIPEX:

Cipexsheets.PNG

DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  7. DonSellos

Apparently so. Again, no sets, but I have some of the transportation cinderellas on cover, in green, I believe. Mine are not tied and I have never written them up for mounting. I bought them for the airplanes.

Don

8. Molokai

Buttons!

Not sure everyone can read this but I got a good chuckle from it...especially the last line (Chambers Stamp Journal August 15 1949). If interested, you should be able to copy it to Word or some other program and Zoom it.

Buttons!.jpg

9. Molokai

I've updated my Newspaper & Periodical Stamps - Reference and Resources.

10. Molokai

More cheap thrills.

Early on in my rebirth as a stamp collector I purchased several thousand of the 1-cent 2nd Bureau Franklin stamp. Along with French's book, Encyclopedia of Plate Varieties I had some fun searching for said varieties and interesting cancellations. Such 'work' is hard on the old eyes; I think I went through two or three hundred of them.

A couple years back I purchased three albums from a fellow which included three full and a couple half pages as well as the loose page shown here of the 1-Cent large banknote. Our friend Franklin is also there upon portrayed. Large Banknotes and the Black Jack were my hot buttons as a young collector. What kid can resist the call of anything 'secret' marks or otherwise.

OneCentBanknote.jpg

Per StampSmarter and a few other references, I think it is time to sort them or as FDR used to say, 'Play with my stamps.' There iare about 350 of them so I think it is a task that my limited attention span can handle. I'll report back with anything of especially interest.

Here's the SS link for this pretty stamp:

http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa/1870/BankNote01c.html

Warning - Off Topic: If Benjamin Franklin visited you for a few days, how would you go about explaining all the changes which have occurred since his lifetime? This is a 1950s essay question. Grammar and punctuation count! ;)

Hochstrasse and DonSellos like this.
  11. DonSellos

The question makes me very glad I am no longer a student!:yack:

Don

12. DonSellos

Molokai, I'm going to borrow your blog for a post that is not quite a rant, but, nevertheless an opinion piece. I'll begin by saying that I haven't been interested in U.S. stamps since the mid-90s, but some recent philatelic purchases arrived franked with U.S. stamps that piqued my collecting interests. Specifically, the stamps were the brand new Liberty dollar values (don't have the Scott numbers) and the first-class presort coils of 2012 (Sc. 4585-4590).

I thought that it would make an attractive page or two to mount the dollar values Waves of Color (Sc. 4717-4720), Patriotic Waves (Sc. 4953-4954), and the new Liberty $1-$5 values, plus a separate page of the 1st-Class presorts. Then as I looked at these stamps in Scotts it occurred to me collecting them presented problems that I'm not sure I want to take on. I'm a used stamp collector and all of the stamps I'm looking at are self-adhesives. If I can find them used, getting the stamps off piece is easy enough using Ronsonol lighter fluid. Once off, however, they would require dusting the reverse sides with corn starch or talcum powder to neutralize the residual adhesive. I'm not sure how the corn starch or talc would react over a few years. however. Plus, I would need to use stamp mounts, which I don't have or use, because I doubt a hinge would adhere to the stamp with starch or powder on the back side.

The other option is to collect these stamps mint. However, their being self-adhesive continues to present a problem, not to mention the added cost of buying mint dollar value stamps If purchased, the first option is to trim their backing paper close to the perfs and mount them like a cut square. Again, there is a need for mounts which I don't have as hinges would not adhere well to the backing paper. A second option would be to pull them off the mounting paper, use the lighter fluid to cut the adhesive and dust them on the back. That's unsatisfactory as it would reduce their mint state condition and value, plus the need for mounts remains. Third option would be to use mounting corners. That might work for the larger dollar values, but not the smaller presort coils, plus the corners are large enough to be unsightly.

At this point my enthusiasm faded and I asked myself the question "do I really want to do this?" My answer is no, I don't think it is worth the expense and effort. A second thing I noticed when looking at these stamps in the catalog was the overwhelming number of current U.S. stamps. To even consider this project I had to go to our local public library to borrow a more current catalog and I was astonished to see the number of what to me are "new" U.S. stamps. Many stamps since the mid-1990s I have not even seen, and I consider myself an experienced collector with access to stamp-related publications that list new issues. What a challenge it would be the neophyte or casual collector just to keep current and to mount the stamps issued since the Post Office Department turned to self-adhesive stamps. To compound the problem of acquiring new issues is the fact that many post offices don't even receive all of the new issues. Then, even if a collector bought all of them there is the cost of mounting them.

My conclusion is that I did the right thing to stop collecting new U.S. issues in the mid-1990s. I may fill out my collection of the Transportation coils, but as much as I would like to collect the newer dollar values, I don't think I will. It is just too much of a hassle. This short-lived foray into collecting contemporary U.S. stamps has made me better understand some of the reasons stamp collecting is on the decline. Too many stamps, too much cost, plus the mounting problems to display them.

Don

Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  13. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

These comments also apply to GB stamps...I gave up collecting them about 6 years ago when they started churning out more and more new issues,with the sole intention of making money .The icing on the cake appears this month...a special set of stamps,souvenir sheets,booklets and a special Prestige booklet...costing almost 50UKL...The subject ? HARRY POTTER .....

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  14. DonSellos

Hi Bob:

According to the newer catalog I borrowed, the U.S. did Harry Potter in 2013. Twenty stamps of characters and scenes from the movie in five booklets of four stamps each with a corresponding central label. Only $10 face value, but unless things have changed, taking apart and mounting five booklet panes of self-adhesive stamps would be no easy task. In your case 50 pounds is a hefty sum, even in today's inflated currencies.

One of the unfortunate things with self-adhesive U.S. stamps is that the Post Office has produced some mini series that I would like to collect, but the process of acquiring them and mounting them is more than I want to cope with. I understand the marketing aspect -- the stamp-using public loves peel and stick over separate and lick. I even appreciate that. Expensive hingeless albums may be the answer.

Good to see you back on the forum!

Don

15. Molokai

Hi <anglobob> and <MrStamp>

Thanks for blogging here, even rants are interesting! I must tell you I agree with you 100% on the modern US stickers put out by the USPS. <Hoch> and I discussed this sometime ago. I am mostly 19th century but certainly won't touch anything past WWII save for a few of the souvenir sheets. Supposedly the USPS is chronically in financial straits and the stickers are less expensive to produce. I *think* they made a few that were soak-able but lamented they were too expensive. (I read somewhere, if you soak them long enough they will separate...)

My rant: I can tell you I've read umpteen articles in the philatelic press trying to suggest how to bring young people back into stamp collecting - going all the way back to an article by the late-great Barbara Mueller in the 1980s! IMHO, two things would need to happen (and of course they won't): 1) No more stickers, 2) Offer patrons at post offices a 'stamp or meter?' option.

Insofar as I ranted also, I will adjust your bill from Dr. Molokai's Psychology Clinic. ;)

DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  16. DonSellos

Molokai:

I need a favor. I recently pulled an Elliott Perry cover out of my shoe box for mounting. I know he wrote a column for Stamps Magazine but I don't know much else about him. I'm wondering if you can tell me what he wrote and if he was a stamp dealer too?

Thanks.

Don

17. Molokai

Hi, <DON>

He is most known today for his Pat Paragraphs column - tho I don't think (offhand) that was his STAMPS column. I know he did a lot of research and appraisals. He was a dealer but not really at the retail level is my understanding. He did have a long running feud with another philatelic writer. Lemme poke about for more.

Pat Paragraphs is available in book form and for early US collectors it is a must-have. My review is on the front page of StampExchange.

https://www.americanstampdealer.com/SubMenu/Elliott_Perry.aspx?id=238

Here is my EP cover:

EPcover.jpg

18. DonSellos

Thanks, Molokai. My Perry cover is much later than yours, and a different address. The ASDA and the Blue Book of Philately lists him as a dealer, so he must have been one even though the corner cards don't so identify him. Here's my Perry cover.

Don

aaa.jpg

19. Molokai

One or two stories about Mr. Perry in Herst's Nassau Street. His Pat Paragraphs is one of my favorite books on the landmine that is early U.S. issues. You can occasionally find original issues of the original newsletter Pat Paragraphs.

As a dealer I think he did mostly estates and private treaty sales. I see him more as a researcher along the lines of Lester Brookman and Stanley Ashbrook. The latter also did two newsletters,1) The Research Group (which I have bound) and 2) Special Services (which I do not have; they go for around $500 in various formats). Perhaps you and <HOCH> could go dutch-treat on them for my Christmas present this year!? :rolleyes:

(I think I have one more EP cover, I'll look and post, if so.)

DonSellos likes this.
  20. Molokai

Is anyone here an expert at identifying re-perforated stamps? It is a real issue for earlier U.S. material all the way through the Washington-Franklins!

I've read everything I can find - articles, books, internet - and still have a problem with it. At this point it really seems to be more art than science.

Tips on how to spot re-perforation?

Draft saved Draft deleted