MOLOKAI’S BLOG

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Mar 6, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Very interesting! Thanks for posting that link. I'm going to watch it and see what happens.

I'm tempted to buy that, but probably won't. $20 plus shipping for a lid to an ice cream cup! Only an avid Capt. Tim collector will buy that. I have a Capt. Tim club member's pin, a copy of his album, and a couple of covers sent from his HQs to club members. That's enough for me.

Don

2. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

These are the unique Nassau Street addresses on covers I have for stamp dealers from 1888 to 1964. I am currently researching these buildings, accumulating photos/postcards in an effort to put together a realistic skyline/street-scape for the NS website. Some dealers moved around several times (Burger Bros, Bartels). Other locations were meccas – of course 116 but also 87 and 99.

I need to cross reference these with my Master List of NS dealers; sure there are quite a few more addresses and dealers! As described in Herst's Nassau Street, many small dealers came-and-went within a few months.

53, 58, 60, 65, 66, 68, 70,71, 75, 77, 80, 81, 85, 87, 90, 91, 93, 99, 109, 111, 116, 140, 150, 154.

The Tribune Building also had several dealers. It was at the intersection on Nassau and Spruce streets.

DonSellos and Gunny like this.
  3. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

That will be an amazing product when finished!

Don

4. Molokai

I forgot J.A. Brennan @37. No cover, but a coin.:)

I again wrote my contact at the NYPL for possible links to photos, maps of NS. Of course, like people, buildings come-and-go over such a period of time...

5. Molokai

Nowherelands – An Atlas of Vanished Countries 1840-1975 by Bjorn Berge

This nice little book came to me in a small mixed lot of philatelic publications I recently purchased. Each country is given a short history, a few ‘fun facts’ about it and the stamps (sometimes stamp!) of the country. Very well-written, entertaining and instructive. The author must have put some real work into compiling the list and learning about these nowherelands. Many names I’ve never heard or known about until now: Obock,Nandgaon, Allenstein, Saseno, Hatay - 50+ countries. Certainly, recommended for the true WW collector!:joyful: I see copies going for $8-$10… 240 pages, extensive bibliography and color images of the stamps.

Nowherelands.jpg

anglobob and DonSellos like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted