MOLOKAI’S BLOG

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Mar 6, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Maybe a MA thesis or Ph.D dissertation popularized?

"Sheila A. Brennan crafts a fresh synthesis that explores how the US postal service shaped Americans’ concepts of national belonging, citizenship, and race through its commemorative stamp program."

Sounds like a stretch to me and a $54 digital price!

Don the Cynic.

Molokai likes this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

I think it would be a good read...but not for the price - at least for me.

Molokai the Optimist

DonSellos likes this.
  3. Molokai

HIPSTAMPS - Does anyone here use it? Experiences, if so?

Do they really have much that isn't also on eBay?

Thanks,
    - Molokai

4. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

Hipstamps.....Have only dealt with them on one occasion and seller would not mail to Ecuador.From a buyer,s point of view,Ebay is far better.
    Bob

Molokai likes this.
  5. James Drummond

James Drummond New Member

Hi,

Just thought that I'd let everyone know that the second volume is nearly done and should be available either this month or in August. Since there are (only) 770 pages in this book, it should sell for less than the first volume. But I haven't received a retail price on it from Eric yet.

Jim Drummond

Gunny, Molokai and DonSellos like this.
  6. DonSellos

Hi Jim:

That's good news. Even better news would be an announcement that these two volumes will soon be available in a digital format.

Don

Molokai likes this.
  7. Molokai

Good news, indeed! Thank you, Jim. I will QQ for it!

Just cough it up <DON>!:) They will make a great addition to the <STAMPDETECTIVE>'s philatelic library.

DonSellos likes this.
  8. James Drummond

Hi Don,

All I need is proof of purchase from Eric and I can make a personalized PDF for anyone that wants one. You won't be able to edit or print it, but you can search it.

Jim

Molokai likes this.
  9. DonSellos

Molokai knows me for the cheapskate that I am! It is not just a digital copy I seek, it is a lower price. :rolleyes:

It's my understanding vol 1 is 900 + pages and vol 2 circa 700 + pages. Are they sold punched for a three or four ring binder, printed on both sides of an 8 1/2 x 11 page? I can't image them being perfect bound with that many pages, although I guess some telephone directories used to be.

Don

10. Molokai

Could I get one, send it to <DON>?

11. DonSellos

Molokai:

Thanks for the generous offer, but I must decline. I'm saving my nickels and dimes and I soon will have enough to purchase vol 1. It will sit next to my $4.95 copy of the Flag Cancel Encyclopedia, and my four volumes of 1991 Scotts catalogs bringing my philatelic library to six items.

Don

12. James Drummond

Yes, that is the page count. Punched three hole, printed on both sides, 8 1/2 by 11 inch. You'll need a 3 or 4 inch binder, preferably with a transparent front cover and spine. The books include these labels, but you'll have to trim them yourself.

All of my books are sold in this format.

I'm afraid that Eric sets the prices; I have very little control over them. I actually make very little on the sale of each book.

Jim

Molokai likes this.
  13. Molokai

Color printing in small quantities is expensive! I will email my receipt to Eric and you can send the PDF to me, please. Thanks!

14. James Drummond

Hi

You can just send your receipt from Eric to me along with your email address and I'll send the PDF to you.

It will come from wetransfer.com.

Jim

Molokai likes this.
  15. DonSellos

Hi Jim:

Yes, not blaming you. That's the way it is with authors and publishers. Authors usually at the bottom of the profit distribution.

Don

Molokai likes this.
  16. Molokai

Thanks much, just sent to Eric.

17. Molokai

After having seven books for a major publisher, I can attest to that fact!

18. BillyPat

BillyPat New Member

Hi Molokai, I find you to be a wealth of knowledge, almost daunting. I’m back at collecting after many years after coming upon a strange find. At an estate sale I found a fruit basket filled with 3 cent bank notes. Literally filled, thousands upon thousands, tied with thread into packs of 100. Was this a common practice back in the day?

DonSellos likes this.
  19. Molokai

Wow, great find!

Thanks but no, not me. Many others with much more expertise here.

I don't know of such a method in the early days. If they are used condition, dealers will often bundle stamps into 100 lots for sale. The 3-cent Banknotes have had a huge amount of research done on them! A very interesting stamp and specialty for sure. I've purchased several thousand of the 1-cent Franklin, second bureau stamp and some have come bundled in just that fashion.

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  20. Molokai

Draft saved Draft deleted