MOLOKAI’S BLOG

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

The Whitesell Book -

As some of you know, the U.S. Newspaper and Periodical stamps are my main philatelic interest. I’ve compiled a bibliography of resources on them – books, articles, internet links and auction catalogs. The ONE item I most wanted was a book, “The U.S. Newspaper and Periodical Stamps: A Compilation of Articles From the Past” by Richard Clyde Whitesell. I also needed several catalogs, including Siegel #1079, the Schwenk Collection of N&P stamps.

Because of my son’s accident, I haven’t been on eBay much of late. Two weeks back I happened to go in one afternoon to check ‘Stamp Publications’ and ‘Chess Books.’. There I saw #1079 for sale! I purchased it and was very happy. A few minutes later (happenstance that I even checked) I received a Message from the seller saying if those stamps were of interest he had just listed, ‘a 400 page book compilation of articles by Richar….” I didn’t even finish reading the message, went right to it and purchased it for $18.00.

There were only 15 copies produced. The earliest article is from 1867; the latest, 1994.

I do have perhaps a fourth of the articles, but all the others are news to me – I don’t even have a biblio cite for many of them them! I believe my biblio from 1994 is fairly comprehensive. The book is not typeset; rather copies of articles many of which he seemed to have borrowed from the APS fully aware of his project. It is spiral bound. That said, unfortunately, the images are of very little use but the book is still a treasure trove of information on these stamps!

To be honest, I believe this is a copy of the book. Some tell-tell signs lead me to that conclusion. It would have been quite a task copying all the pages but I see signs of a spiral binding on some pages, even ones he would have typed himself (TOC).... Either way, I am delighted to have it! I am in it mostly for the information

I’ll write more here on the book as I spend time with it, but for now attached the Introduction, a page from the TOC and two older articles. My first job is to fold all of the articles into my bibliography. I will then replace the older version here on SE.

(About two years ago I found the author’s address in Rhode Island and wrote to him. I even posted the letter with several of the Newspaper commemorative stamps to get his attention. He never responded.) Here’s why - ☹

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/170569796/richard-clyde-whitesell

---

Update on my son: He may not need an invasive surgery but we don't know until late September. The neck/back brace must be very uncomfortable; trussed up like a turkey. Fortunately, the boot and cast come off soon. He's handled all of this extremely well; stoically really. My daughter-in-law has healed but still has headaches and some photo-sensitivity. They rounded up the driver in Texas and he'll make a court appearance on Monday. We'll see how that goes.

Attached Files:

DonSellos, Hochstrasse and anglobob like this.
  2. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

I learned from your 2nd photo that the U.S. sued the Scott Stamp Co regarding these stamps, and lost. That's something that I had not known. Neat stuff.

DonSellos likes this.
  3. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Hi Molokai:

Sounds like you hit the information jackpot with the Whitesell book. I liked the link you provided on Whitesell. Interesting life. Judging only from the photo of him, I would not have pegged him as career military. Died rather young too.

Good news regarding your son and his wife, and the arrest of the fugitive driver. I'm surprised they found him, especially in a large state like Texas. Maybe he was arrested on a minor charge there and they matched his fingerprints.

Looking forward to learning more about those newspaper stamps!

Don

4. DonSellos

I acquired two more of Franklin W. Spoone's cartoon cachets from the series he did for the 5c Register to Vote first day issue. As do the others, the cachets have the 1964 presidential election as a theme. This brings to four of this series that I have. I'm thinking that there may still be two more to find. Here is the one from post 233 above:

[​IMG]

The most recently acquired:

Scan_20190830 (6).jpg
    Scan_20190830 (7).jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  5. DonSellos

Molokai made me do it, buy this Goldwater cinderella and add to my W. Frank Spoone covers. Molokai was the one who opened the Goldwater thread. Thanks to Molokai, I have a total of five Spoone covers, I think there may be another yet. The watch continues. I haven't posted the following two Spoone covers before. They are LBJ oriented and refer to some of the questionable events of his tenure, and his infamous lifting his dog by the ears. For those who are too young to remember the 1964 presidential election (probably no one on this site!), Barry was too conservative for most everyone and LBJ won by a landslide. The country has gone downhill ever since.:bigtears:

Don

My very own copy of the Goldwater cinderella label
    aaab1.jpg

Johnson turns out the lights in the White House to "hold down government expenditures."
    aaab3.jpg

LBJ picks up the first dog by the ears.
    aaab2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  6. DonSellos

Okay, does this make me a Newspapers and Periodicals stamp collector??

aaab2.jpg

Actually, this is on a 1993 Bureau of Printing and Engraving souvenir card printed for the Omaha Stamp Show of September 1993, and it was for the background image that I had to have it for my Omaha Collection.

Right after WW II, maybe 1946-1947, we were still living on a farm in western Iowa and my dad had a tractor and one-row corn picker similar to the one in this image. Those corn pickers were dangerous if caution was not exercised. A corn stock would travel up the auger that actually separated the ear of corn from the stock and carried it up the elevator and into the wagon. The corn stock would jam the auger and stop it. The farmer would get off the tractor, but without shutting the picker down and try to remove the jam. All to many times, a shirtsleeve would get caught in the auger once the stock was removed with disastrous results for the farmer's arm. When we saw a farmer in town on Saturday night with one shirtsleeve empty and pinned up to his overalls we knew he was either a WW II veteran or he owned a corn picker!

The back of the book stamps are nice too. This is the only BEP souvenir sheet I own and I was surprised at its size when it arrived. It is huge, approximately 8" X 10!" I could frame it, but I think I can use a polyester sleeve with a separate sheet for the write-up and it will fit in my album. A fun item. I'm glad I learned of it and bought one.

Don
    aaab1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Molokai likes this.
  7. Molokai

Dang! I missed this post <DON> I don't think I have that one. I'll trade you for a nice Partagas Churchill. :cigar:

8. Molokai

I have a question, perhaps <HOCH> (or anyone else) can answer.

I had it in mind years ago to try to plate the Blackjack. I was told then - and more recently on another board - that printing techniques by that time (1863) were perfected enough plating would not be possible. (Aside from the fact I would need many, many more BJs as well as pairs, blocks, etc.)

Yet, they appear to have plated the entire Inverted Jenny sheet from decades later. I am probably 1) Missing something simple, 2) Dumb, 3) Senior Moment, 4) All of the above.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  9. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Molokai I have no idea other than a few observations. The image is large and the borders have been described as minuscule. It is notorious for being off center where perforations often cut into the design. There are few surviving large blocks. It would be interesting if perhaps you might have other insights on plating of this issue or if you remember what other collectors have told you.

Molokai likes this.
  10. Molokai

Hi, Hoch -

Thank you. In my early days I did have a substantial Blackjack collection - several hundred singles, some pairs, few strips, couple nice blocks. Perhaps the nicest item I ever owned was a BJ block-of-six with perfect green target cancels, probably close to XF.

At that time I asked a local dealer (Dan Stone) about plating it. He told me, as I mentioned above, the printing process was too refined to plate the issue. A couple of years ago I asked on another Board and pretty much received the same answer. Yet....in The Black Jacks of 1863-1867 Maurice Cole (the authority at the time,1950) discusses the idea of plating the stamp without mentioning any particular problems doing so save for needing lotsa stamps. So...I dunno. It seem it could be plated to me, still. There are several known shifts/double transfers the most famous of which is the Atherton.

I suppose the question is moot until I hit the lottery.:shy:

For such a famous stamp not too much literature - I have three books and perhaps half-dozen auction catalogs.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  11. Hochstrasse

The printing process was certainly a very refined process in those times. A very interesting retrospective on the 1851 issues contains some information about the printing process at that time. While it begs the question as to why plating of the 3c Washington is possible and apparently exhaustive and not the later 2c Blackjack it does happen after the big monopoly concern and the leaking of printing talent to the new National Banknote Company which printed the 2c Jackson stamp.

https://archive.org/details/The1851IssueOfUnitedStatesStampsASesquicentennialRetrospective

Molokai likes this.
  12. Molokai

Testing...

Rather than add the Whitesell TOC line-by-line to my NP Resources List, I am thinking of just adding the images from the five TOC pages, seeing if they are readable.

"This is a test and only a test...."

Attached Files:

13. DonSellos

Readable, but with difficulty. On my screen, the enlarged image of the whole page is not visible, unenlarged, it is too small.

Don

Molokai likes this.
  14. Molokai

Thank you, DON.

15. Molokai

Baseball Card Stamps

Anyone familiar with these (or, others)? Apparently legal postage in the countries they were produced.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/First-Edit...a=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I collected baseball cards as a kid (since I couldn't hit a ball to save my soul). Relatives would bring me a pack of Topps often when they visited. Had cards from 1956-1962 or so - two large boot boxes. Gone now, drats. Ditto all my Silver Age DC Comics ('Still 10c') of Flash, Batman, Justice League, etc. Sigh.....

Attached Files:

16. DonSellos

Molokai:

As a w/w collector I have never seen these. Are they stamps? while perforated I see no country of origin or values on the items in the link provided. Following your link, scroll down a little and there is another set listed at a lower price and identifying them as from St. Vincent.

Seems like I remember St. Vincent printing stamps for the Grenadines Islands which are southwest of the main island of St. Vincent. Without values and country of origin on them, I would consider them cinderellas.

Never-the-less, at $6.00 a set, they would be a nice addition to a collection for someone who likes baseball cards. I don't have a catalog new enough to see if they are listed or if they continue as a series. There may be more.

Don

Hochstrasse likes this.
  17. Hochstrasse

Hi Don
    It looks like you are correct. I found this link which talks a bit about the stamps.
    "Well in 1992, the St. Vincent Philatelic Services, Ltd. decided to manufacture and release a 12 card set of standard size cards featuring some of baseballs well known HOFers. Of course, being the Philatelic Service that they were, the cards doubled as peel-away stamps and are actually official legal postage in St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

The cards have an interesting design, featuring a head shot of the player in a black/white/sepia color over a faded gold two tone background. The borders deckle edge to simulate a stamp design and there is a clean yellow boarder around it. Each card has enough for $4.00 worth of postage"
    https://cardgarage.blogspot.com/

Molokai and DonSellos like this.
  18. DonSellos

Okay! I did it. I have acquired my sixth Frank Spoone of Cartoon Cachets, 1964 Goldwater presidential candidate cover. See my posts # 244 of 8/30/19 and # 245 of 9/16/19 for the previous five. This cover focuses on Goldwater's vice presidential running mate William Miller and is, I believe, the last in Spoone's 1964 election series. Of these six covers, I like the cartoon character of the Republican elephant best. He has personality!

I don't know who drew these cartoons, but surely it was not Spoone. I think he just selected them for the cachets. I believe there were at least two different artists, maybe three, and the cartoons must have appeared in newspapers of magazines somewhere.

While I may have finished this series, my quest for cartoon cachets goes on. It has become one of my favorite cover sub-collecting fields.

Don
    b95.jpg

19. Molokai

Happy Holidays to all! Greetings especially to <DONSELLOS>, <HOCH>, <ANGLOBOB>, <GOLIGHTLY>, <WERNER>, <MAKANUDO> and <PETER>.

For HOCH - German States, mint/complete. For ANGLOBOB - Ecuador, Mint/Complete, For GOLIGHTLY - French Colonies, mint/Complete. For DONSELLOS - $10 worth of Kiloware.;)

Wishing all a philatelically Phantastic 2020. Remember, those 596s are out there just waiting to be found.

DonSellos and anglobob like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted